Hashcat Performance
Hello guys! 

I recently posted a thread about an Error, but deleted it because somebody else had the same Problem and so i was able to solve that.
So now i am wondering how i can change the Performance of hashcat.
If i type --help , there seem to be the options of performance 1 - 4 while 1 is normal and 4 is brutal. 
So is there a way to change or set that Performance?

And i see that when i start to crack a Password it says something about #1
Does that mean it uses CPU? And would it be better to use GPU?
Can you please paste the hashcat output and highlight the parts you have questions about? I'm having trouble following your descriptions.
(03-03-2020, 08:05 PM)undeath Wrote: Can you please paste the hashcat output and highlight the parts you have questions about? I'm having trouble following your descriptions.
should be this
# | Device Type
===+=============
  1 | CPU
  2 | GPU
  3 | FPGA, DSP, Co-Processor

- [ Workload Profiles ] -

# | Performance | Runtime | Power Consumption | Desktop Impact
===+=============+=========+===================+=================
  1 | Low        |  2 ms  | Low              | Minimal
  2 | Default    |  12 ms  | Economic          | Noticeable
  3 | High        |  96 ms  | High              | Unresponsive
  4 | Nightmare  | 480 ms  | Insane            | Headless

and i am wondering if i can change the settings because it writtes this :
OpenCL Platform #1: Intel(R) Corporation
========================================
* Device #1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 997/3990 MB allocatable, 4MCU

Hashes: 1 digests; 1 unique digests, 1 unique salts
Bitmaps: 16 bits, 65536 entries, 0x0000ffff mask, 262144 bytes, 5/13 rotates

Applicable optimizers:
* Zero-Byte
* Single-Hash
* Single-Salt
* Brute-Force
* Slow-Hash-SIMD-LOOP
* Uses-64-Bit

Minimum password length supported by kernel: 0
Maximum password length supported by kernel: 256

Watchdog: Hardware monitoring interface not found on your system.
Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger disabled.

[s]tatus [p]ause [b]ypass [c]heckpoint [q]uit =>
Code:
hashcat -h | grep workload
-w, --workload-profile         | Num  | Enable a specific workload profile, see pool below   | -w 3

Quote:OpenCL Platform #1: Intel(R) Corporation
========================================
* Device #1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 997/3990 MB allocatable, 4MCU
Yes, that indicates that hashcat only detects your CPU and uses that. Otherwise the device would be marked as "skipped". Unlisted devices don't have a compatible OpenCL runtime installed.
Thank your for your quick replay.
so i should first : find a compatible OpenCL runtime driver and then i can try again and even raise the workload-profile ?
because i had a hard time installing the OpenCl runtime from intel, and i thought it would work for my GPU. (had the error CL-invalid_mem-Object before) and now it only uses the CPU....
could it be because my GPU is kinda...old? the driver is from 2015 and the version is 9.17.10.4229 but the support team from intel told me that there isnt going to be any other update for my driver. should i try work with an older version of hashcat?
You can also raise the workload when using a CPU. I have no idea what GPU you have so I cannot tell you what OpenCL runtime you need. But since you're using a laptop it may not matter much since onboard GPUs are usually pretty slow. Besides, it's not recommended to run hashcat on laptops because their cooling systems are not designed for prolonged high loads. It can lead to permanent damage.
(03-03-2020, 11:19 PM)undeath Wrote: You can also raise the workload when using a CPU. I have no idea what GPU you have so I cannot tell you what OpenCL runtime you need. But since you're using a laptop it may not matter much since onboard GPUs are usually pretty slow. Besides, it's not recommended to run hashcat on laptops because their cooling systems are not designed for prolonged high loads. It can lead to permanent damage.
Again thank you.
I do have an Intel graphics 3000 HD.
But i gues its to old so i am gonna stay at the CPU. 
You really helped me out here Smile