two word lists and a rule
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can use two dictionary files along with a rule? i know with the dictionary attack you can only specify 2 lists with no rule option.
please define "a rule" . is this one single rule ?

you should also be more clear about "two dictionary" . do you mean combining them or running them one after the other.

to combine 2 dictionaries directly in hashcat, you need to use -a 1 . with -a 1 you can use -j or -k to apply a single rule either on the left or on the right part respectively. Is that what you are searching for ?

As you can see your question is quite open for interpretation... it could also mean that you want to run a rule file with several dictionaries one after the other, but not combining them (for this there are actually 3 options, either you use a directory/folder with -a 0 or you specify several files on the command line with -a 0 (again, not combining them) or best would probably be to unique them (i.e. "sort -u" on linux) and run the uniqued list.
(05-24-2020, 05:46 PM)philsmd Wrote: please define "a rule" . is this one single rule ?

you should also be more clear about "two dictionary" . do you mean combining them or running them one after the other.

to combine 2 dictionaries directly in hashcat, you need to use -a 1 . with -a 1 you can use -j or -k to apply a single rule either on the left or on the right part respectively. Is that what you are searching for ?

As you can see your question is quite open for interpretation... it could also mean that you want to run a rule file with several dictionaries one after the other, but not combining them (for this there are actually 3 options, either you use a directory/folder with -a 0 or you specify several files on the command line with -a 0 (again, not combining them) or best would probably be to unique them (i.e. "sort -u" on linux) and run the uniqued list.

My apologies i see the ambiguity.  What i would like to do is combine DictionaryList1 & DictionaryList2 and then run that against a rule file, please 
it's not directly supported, mainly because the combination of 2 dicts can turn out to be huge (combining hundred of thousands words with each other - or more - gives a huge and sometimes too huge combined list, it grows exponentially with the size of the dictionaries) and combining this even with rules makes the size even huger, e.g. k * n * m (where k is the number of rules, n the number of words in the left dict and m the number of rules in the right dict).

So it's important to note these facts:
1. the hash type is important to determine if it is feasible
2. the size of the dictionaries is important to determine if it is feasible (also the number of rules shouldn't be too huge, as "k" in the formula above is also a determining factor)
3. the type of rules determine if workarounds to this limitation are possible:
4. you could pre-compute one new dict and combine it with the second one

for #4 you could do:
Code:
hashcat --stdout -r my.rules dict1.txt > dict1_mod.txt

hashcat -m 0 -a 1 -w 3 hash.txt dict1_mod.txt dict2.txt

it depends of course on the rules you want to run if this is possible and which dictionary needs to be modified (e.g. if you only want to append, prepend or put in the middle of the "2 words" some numbers etc)

an alternative to this (for instance if you need to use rules that effect the whole combined password, not just append/prepend at one side etc):
Code:
combinator dict1.txt dict2.txt | hashcat -m 0 -a 0 -w 3 -r my.rules hash.txt

instead of combinator or combinator.bin from hashcat-utils (see https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=has...combinator) you could also use --stdout:
Code:
hashcat --stdout -a 1 dict1.txt dict2.txt | hashcat -m 0 -a 0 -w 3 -r my.rules hash.txt

in general, combinator would load up and run faster, but with huge amount of rules etc there won't be much difference (disk I/O hopefully shouldn't be the bottleneck)