Apple M1 and myetherwallet recovery
So, I have a PC with a Geforce 3080 and a 2TB NVM Raid as well as a ryzen 3700X. Doing the following hashcat on it results in about 15000 h/s for a myetherwallet scrypt

hashcat -a 3 -m 15700 -D1,2 hashfile PART1?a?a?a?a?a?a  -o result.txt  

This, to my understanding takes the PART! which is known and then tries all symbols,digits and letters and captials for the remaining 6.

Again, this is 15000 hashes / second.. not that terrrible imho...

So for fun i compiled hashcat on my m1 macbook pro, then ran the same line, except i had to use --force for the CPU to be used.. 

This gave me a staggering 5000 hashes / second. for a little arm machine, not HALF BAD..
so, then i looked closer and it used 1 thread.. TR: 1 was show, while my Geforce was using 1024 threads....

Great I thought, I, just for fun, crank the treads on my M1 to 64 ... just to see what happens.. 

well for the last 2 hours it is running at: 1814,9 kH/s ... what????? the time reduced from 22 days to 4 days to crack the password... 

Now, I am not a noob to IT and I have been wroking for decades in the industry and never have i seen a difference like this ... what the "#¤%#"¤"#¤"    is there something wrong with my command??  Oh and the load on the laptop isnt that bad... and if this is an ok hashrate for a 15700 mode crack, then fine but why isnt my Geforce getting the same? oh and my ryzen does like less than 50 hashes per sec

what am I doing wrong here???
Same here, my 1660 Super does 3H/s...
Maybe if you have used an intel cpu you could obtain better results than with your ryzen.
Apparently, many slow hashes are significantly faster with CPUS rather than GPUS.
Here epixoip explains why ryzen cpus are slower with this type of hashes.
(01-07-2021, 06:35 PM)parano1d Wrote: Same here, my 1660 Super does 3H/s...
Maybe if you have used an intel cpu you could obtain better results than with your ryzen.
Apparently, many slow hashes are significantly faster with CPUS rather than GPUS.
Here epixoip explains why ryzen cpus are slower with this type of hashes.

I get that but.. the CPU in a MacBook Pro does the same with a mask attack of at LEAST 200kh/s... not even my gpu can do that.. and I would be hard pressed for any machine to push that... in the gpu world on 15700 I can get 15000/s so I would have to have what 15 of those to match a 1500 euro laptop??
15700 is a parameterized hash mode (like most more complex hash modes). Comparing cracking speed results is only meaningful when using the same parameters. (eg comparing --benchmark results, or attacking the same hash)
Hi and thanks for pointing that out... 
bear in mind this IS the same hash...that’s what gets me so confused.. I know Apple has that neural engine and encryption chip and the m1 isn’t a single chip but many together... but the speed is insane.. t first I thought there is a fluke but I ran a password hash against both the GeForce and the Apple m1 and the m1 took 1/10th of the time