Please help this newbie
(11-22-2022, 11:55 AM)Snoopy Wrote: Im not quite sure, but i think something missing.

How did you get the IV and hash from a cloudstorage? is there any export function? if yes, how can you export these data without primary signin in?

some other aspects like iterations are also not mentioned, i dont think that you have all the data you need to crack these password

Thanks for responding.  The cloudstorage is "open source" program set up by family member, and we have access to the  hash and "source code" of the program.   The iterations is 1,000.
(11-23-2022, 04:02 AM)heather Wrote:
(11-21-2022, 10:33 PM)drsnooker Wrote: Well if you know most of the characters, can't you just make a table of all permutations of the possible passwords and try them one at a time. It's not cracking the hash or using hashcat, but it might allow you to get your pictures back....

That's a good idea, but there are too many permutations (at least thousands) for me to try it by hand.

Well any kind of scripting language can do that for you.... Unless there's a limit how many times you can retry! Even once a minute should get you there in a few days!
(11-23-2022, 04:12 AM)drsnooker Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 04:02 AM)heather Wrote:
(11-21-2022, 10:33 PM)drsnooker Wrote: Well if you know most of the characters, can't you just make a table of all permutations of the possible passwords and try them one at a time. It's not cracking the hash or using hashcat, but it might allow you to get your pictures back....

That's a good idea, but there are too many permutations (at least thousands) for me to try it by hand.

Well any kind of scripting language can do that for you.... Unless there's a limit how many times you can retry! Even once a minute should get you there in a few days!

Thanks. I'm not sure whether there is a limit, but since I have all of the hash information and method used to create it, wouldn't using hashcat be more reliable than trying to create a script?
Unless the hash is not supported by hashcat.... Nobody is going to write a hashcat plugin, for a rare one-of hash.
I understand. Is it possible that one of the existing modules might work if I figure out how to place the IV and key in the right order (in other words, should the IV be appended to the beginning of the hash, end. etc...? )?
I think you're better off using medusa or xhydra. If the hash is not supported like mentioned, you're required to compile a plugin for that specific hashtype.