WSL 2 Outdated POCL OpenCL driver
Hi, I've just successfully used hashcat for the first time using Windows CMD. I'm trying to use hashcat as part of an easter egg hunt and am much more comfortable navigating a Unix shell, so I tried to install it in WSL. 

My hardware is AMD Ryzen 9 5900X & RTX 3080.

I apologize if these are basic questions, but the forum doesn't allow search terms with less than 4 characters (such as "WSL").

Should hashcat work fine within WSL for both CPU and GPU?

I found a post which recommends uninstalling POCL followed by another post which recommends manually installing POCL and all its dependencies, then performing some manual configuration. Simply uninstalling POCL seemed insufficient... is all of this necessary? Surely I should be able to install the proper version of POCL with a package manager to manage the dependencies?

Code:
hashcat -m 0 -a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Code:
hashcat (v6.2.6) starting

* Device #1: Outdated POCL OpenCL driver detected!

This OpenCL driver may fail kernel compilation or produce false negatives.
We recommend using a version of POCL >= 1.9
You can use --force to override, but do not report related errors.

No devices found/left.
i dont think you will have real access to your hardware, maybe except for cpu in wsl, i know for sure that for example under wls you dont have direct access to your bulk devices like any harddrive

so please use hashcat under windows with installed CUDA SDK, maybe plain linux on your hardware okay, but not under any vm-style environment like wsl, this will make things much more easier, under win11 or even 10 the cli behave nowadays much like any linux shell
(02-13-2024, 12:12 PM)Snoopy Wrote: i dont think you will have real access to your hardware, maybe except for cpu in wsl, i know for sure that for example under wls you dont have direct access to your bulk devices like any harddrive

I don't think that's true. Straight from https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/wsl-user-gu...uda-on-wsl
Quote:The latest NVIDIA Windows GPU Driver will fully support WSL 2. With CUDA support in the driver, existing applications (compiled elsewhere on a Linux system for the same target GPU) can run unmodified within the WSL environment.
well then install all these packages and try it under WSL
(02-15-2024, 01:20 PM)Snoopy Wrote: well then install all these packages and try it under WSL

It mentions only needing to install packages if compiling software for CUDA development. 
Sounds like I should be able to install precompiled hashcat and use the latest Windows driver?
i dont think so

hashcat compiles the needed kernels on the fly, so im pretty sure you will need the CUDA SDK for linux when you want to run hashcat under WSL, the same way you need the CUDA SDK for Windows when running hashcat under windows (you will always need driver + sdk)