Limitting the password combinations
I have a zip file (.zip created by 7zip v15.10) that I remember the password to (~12 characters long), but it seems I've typed the password wrong while zipping it and now it doesn't open.
When I calculate how long it would take, online calculators give me anywhere from few to over 9000 years. I wonder if I can reduce that time by setting some limiting rules?
- Can I specify to not use repeat characters in the generated passwords?
- Can I set a part of the password as fixed? I remember adding "this" word to the end of the password.
- Can I segment the password into chunks? for example: the first 4 where lower case, the second upper and the rest numbers
- Can I give it the password I remember and try permutations of it? It's possible that the keyboard didn't register one or two presses.
(02-19-2021, 07:18 PM)Kia Wrote: I have a zip file (.zip created by 7zip v15.10) that I remember the password to (~12 characters long), but it seems I've typed the password wrong while zipping it and now it doesn't open.
When I calculate how long it would take, online calculators give me anywhere from few to over 9000 years. I wonder if I can reduce that time by setting some limiting rules?
- Can I set a part of the password as fixed? I remember adding "this" word to the end of the password.
- Can I segment the password into chunks? for example: the first 4 where lower case, the second upper and the rest numbers
- Can I give it the password I remember and try permutations of it? It's possible that the keyboard didn't register one or two presses.

take a look at mask-attack or combined wordlist + rules attack, this will cover most of your questions

https://hashcat.net/wiki/
(02-19-2021, 07:18 PM)Kia Wrote: I have a zip file (.zip created by 7zip v15.10) that I remember the password to (~12 characters long), but it seems I've typed the password wrong while zipping it and now it doesn't open.

It's possible that comboleetor.pl could help you here.  If you know the various pieces of password that you typically use (favorite numbers, text snippets, etc.) you can feed it to the program in the order you choose and it will output all the possible combinations for you. Includes serial capitalization and leetspeak features too.

https://www.jimby.name/techbits/recent/comboleetor/

Read through the docs and training presentation to see if it does what you need.

HTH