GTX 470 or Radeon 5970?
Hi All Smile finally I have the chance to buy a decent videocard.. they offer me 2 cards approx the same price, both used, second-hand, but fully operational! Smile a GTX 470 or a Radeon 5970: what should I buy to get the best hashcat experience? Smile
Thanks
(02-03-2013, 05:00 PM)crysis Wrote: Hi All Smile finally I have the chance to buy a decent videocard.. they offer me 2 cards approx the same price, both used, second-hand, but fully operational! Smile a GTX 470 or a Radeon 5970: what should I buy to get the best hashcat experience? Smile
Thanks

Radeon HD is faster
(02-03-2013, 05:15 PM)themask Wrote: Radeon HD is faster

A LOT faster. Like 6x faster.
lol Radeon HD 5970 is well faster, see 4 yourself:

http://www.gat3way.eu/est.php
.. well thats right.. looks like ATI cards gets underpriced compared with Nvidia, when second hand..
Anyway, somewhere here I read that ATI cards send the main PC cpu at 100%, when GPU is working.. Nvidia dont.. it that so? if yes, that a very good feature against ATI.. Tongue
I haven't noticed that at all in my experiences.
(02-04-2013, 11:23 AM)crysis Wrote: Anyway, somewhere here I read that ATI cards send the main PC cpu at 100%, when GPU is working

Can you post a link to that please am I interested as I use ATI and never experienced that.

Your CPU does ramp up when loading dictionaries sometimes but it is not used in cracking. It doesn't happen to me.

The reason I would like to see the link is that the user may have been using maskprocessor or piping in some way which does use CPU. However that would happen to both ATI and Nvidia as it is a CPU application.

Nvidia is no good at hash cracking compared to ATI.
There was 100% cpu usage problem some time ago, because of amd drivers.
ok, if that CPU issue doesnt appear anymore, I can go for the Radeon 5970 without problems, right? Tongue
Btw, Im also planning to upgrade my CPU.. hashcat works better with Intel or AMD main processor?
(02-05-2013, 09:43 AM)crysis Wrote: ok, if that CPU issue doesnt appear anymore, I can go for the Radeon 5970 without problems, right? Tongue
Btw, Im also planning to upgrade my CPU.. hashcat works better with Intel or AMD main processor?
If you are going to use the GPU version, the cpu don't really matter.