AMD R9 M370X
Hello, I am new to the forums but fairly experience with oclHashcat. I recently purchased a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro with the dedicated graphics card, the AMD R9 M370X. With the default Bootcamp drivers, I can reach about 30,000h/s, but I expected a lot more and I also get this error:
Code:
ATTENTION! The installed GPU driver in your system is known to be broken!

It will pass over cracked hashes and does not report them as cracked!

You are STRONGLY encouraged not to use it!

Using --force gets me the 30,000h/s i mentioned before, but I was definitely expecting much higher.

I tried uninstalling the Bootcamp drivers but soon realized that Catalyst 14.9 doesn't appear to support this GPU. I tried it anyways but it was a no go.

I hope I provided enough, I can definitely give more details if needed. I guess I'm asking either 1: How can I fix this? or 2: Can we get support for this GPU since they are in all the 2015 Retina MacBook Pros with dedicated graphics?
30,000 H/S on which algorithm? Which attack mode? How many hashes? How many salts? Hard for us to know if 30 KH/s is correct or not if you don't tell us what you're doing.

The R9 M370X is just a re-branded and underclocked HD 7770 / R7 250X, so 14.9 should work just fine (this is a very low-end GPU, by the way, so it probably won't meet your performance expectations regardless.) If you really can't make 14.9 work, then oclHashcat 1.37 will ship with support for Catalyst 15.7.

Also, I wouldn't recommend doing much cracking on an MBP, or really any other laptop for that matter. They can't really handle the thermals that compute loads generate, especially since in most laptops the CPU and GPU share a common heatpipe and fan.
(07-18-2015, 09:15 AM)epixoip Wrote: 30,000 H/S on which algorithm? Which attack mode? How many hashes? How many salts? Hard for us to know if 30 KH/s is correct or not if you don't tell us what you're doing.

The R9 M370X is just a re-branded and underclocked HD 7770 / R7 250X, so 14.9 should work just fine (this is a very low-end GPU, by the way, so it probably won't meet your performance expectations regardless.) If you really can't make 14.9 work, then oclHashcat 1.37 will ship with support for Catalyst 15.7.

Also, I wouldn't recommend doing much cracking on an MBP, or really any other laptop for that matter. They can't really handle the thermals that compute loads generate, especially since in most laptops the CPU and GPU share a common heatpipe and fan.

Sorry, late night post. I'm working on WPA/WPA2 doing a dictionary attack. I was looking at supported GPUs on AMD's website and I couldn't even find this card anywhere on there. Looking at average rates from other people using the HD 7770, I guess my expectations were a little low, but the actual performance should still be a little higher. Hell, my CPU can do around 9,000. I wasn't planning on doing any huge cracks, just a few Netgear defaults and small dictionaries when I'm on the go.Ā 

Thanks for the response.
Your GPU is ~ 5.5x slower than a 290X. 290X pulls ~ 190 KH/s on WPA2, 190 / 5.5 = 34.5 KH/s, so 30 KH/s is pretty much spot-on.
(07-18-2015, 08:05 PM)epixoip Wrote: Your GPU is ~ 5.5x slower than a 290X. 290X pulls ~ 190 KH/s on WPA2, 190 / 5.5 = 34.5 KH/s, so 30 KH/s is pretty much spot-on.

Ah alright. The only other problem is that oclHashcat (the drivers?) don't report the temperature or fan utilization, and also the fact that it may skip over cracked hashes. Do I just have to wait for a driver update?
Most mobile GPUs do not have fans (see my first post in this thread) so there would be no fan speed to report. The firmware also may not be exposing the temperature via ADL. This is an Overdrive5 card so you're definitely not waiting on a driver update.

oclHashcat skips over cracked hashes by default. See http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=freq...t_happened
(07-18-2015, 08:17 PM)epixoip Wrote: Most mobile GPUs do not have fans (see my first post in this thread) so there would be no fan speed to report. The firmware also may not be exposing the temperature via ADL. This is an Overdrive5 card so you're definitely not waiting on a driver update.

oclHashcat skips over cracked hashes by default. See http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=freq...t_happened

Awesome, thanks! You're very knowledgeable! I just did a quick test with my oldĀ Netgear router and everything worked as expected, took just under 10 minutes. I guess that'll work for now, its enough for on-the-go cracking
(07-19-2015, 04:27 AM)soxrok2212 Wrote: Awesome, thanks! You're very knowledgeable!

That's why they give me all of the stars
I've got one last question. I've been running the rockyou dictionary against some WPA captures. I know for a fact that the password is in the dictionary and I've confirmed that with aircrack but hashcat is never able to recover the password, it returns "exhausted." I've tried installing catalys 15.7 and 14.9 but since my graphics card is supposed to be for OS X I don't think Catalyst supports it (the install always fails.) I use the bootcamp drivers and I just reinstalled them on Windows 10 with oclHashcat 1.37.

I wonder if it is just a driver issue?

*Note, I have my old netgear password with the netgear dictionary so I don't understand why it is passing it over with rockyou. I even tried putting the password into the netgear dictionary and had no luck.

I converted the cap to hccap through the function on this site. Is that the problem?
(08-23-2015, 07:19 AM)soxrok2212 Wrote: I converted the cap to hccap through the function on this site. Is that the problem?

I don't know much about the driver situation but I have had an issue in the past with the online cap->hccap converter. I would suggest you try:

aircrack-ng -J outfile in.cap

Worked for me in the same situation.