Quad 1080Ti Setup
What would make sense?
Maybe I must add that the case is closed. On a second run, temps stayed in the low 70's, only the top card is running slightly hotter, maybe because it is near the cpu cooling block. Strangely, the second card from top down is running 10 degrees cooler than the top 10. Both have the backs removed.
I googled around a bit and 1080Ti's seem to easily hit 80 degrees during gaming. Card is set to cope with up to 90+.

The case is fully fanned out with 120mm shadow wings. I'll remove the side panel and see how much difference that makes, but is it really unsafe to run for hours at 70 degrees? In that case suggestions (soft and hardware) are welcome. I'm running Linux.

cheers

<EDIT>: opening the case only made a difference at the start. In the end the top card also reached 79 degrees and the other cards went up-to mid 70's.
<EDIT2>: I haven't tweaked GPU fan % yet. Question remains: is it really necessary to do so? Starting from which temp is there a risk on degradation / damage?
What are your fan speeds when you get those temps?
(04-10-2017, 02:47 PM)TofuBoy22 Wrote: What are your fan speeds when you get those temps?

Case fans are constant at 1500 rpm.
GPU fans around 2500rpm if I remember correctly... which looks inline with what I found here

4 cards at full fan speed will make a lot of noise. This box won't be in a data center, so maybe I'll have to look at some water cooling solution for GPU's if necessary... As always: suggestions are much appreciated and welcome.
Try increase gpu fan speeds up to a level that you feel comfortable with, I've got mine set to 75% which blends into the office backgroup noise. Maybe look into getting fans with higher airflow at the front of your case?
(04-10-2017, 03:48 PM)TofuBoy22 Wrote: Try increase GPU fan speeds up to a level that you feel comfortable with, I've got mine set to 75% which blends into the office backgroup noise. Maybe look into getting fans with higher airflow at the front of your case?

My 1080 Ti setup had no issues at all - I used display driver uninstaller before I added the new card.  The old drivers are damn near impossible to get rid of.

1080 Ti is absolutely ridonkulous BTW - Got 75/380 recovered in less than a minute from my NTDS file.  

WPA2 is still slow although I know the hash is impossible, 600 kHZ
After finally getting the xorg.conf to work (It's not a headless system, I still prefer using one monitor for other stuff as well) with the tweaks needed to get the fan control in nividia-settings, I have set the fans at 75%.

Temperature is now stable around 50C. Makes a lot of noise though Wink
It's a shame that nvidia doesn't enable manual fan control by default.

Thanks
(03-13-2017, 07:27 PM)barbsie Wrote: Hi,

I'm in the process of assembling parts for a quad 1080Ti build. This is what I've gathered so far after catching up on the forums and on the interwebz:

- Motherboard: Asus X99E WS - USB 3.1 : It's a workstation motherboard which supports 16x16x16x16 PCiE 3.0. Apparently 8x8x8x8 should be enough, but just to be on the safe side...
- CPU: i7 5930k: has 40 lanes support. According to ASUS their motherboard can also do 4 GPU's with 28 lanes because it has some built in chips for that, but just to be on the safe side....
- 4 x1080Ti FE: because they got better cooling ... I guess it's also the only thing that will be available initially...
- 1200 W PSU: Or should I get 1500W?
- Big Tower EATX case (the board is CEB, but should fit on EATX). I'm thinking Corsair Obsidian 750D.
- M2 Samsung 960 Pro with 512GB. I can add some normal SSD for additional storage
Any recommendations on memory? I guess 32GB SSD4 is ok?

WRT software: I'll be running hashcat under Linux Mint. I don't foresee any issues , unless someone here thinks different?

Comments are welcome... it's been a while since I've been following HW developments, so I hope I haven't missed anything. And...a big thanks for hashcat. It rocks!

cheers,

barbsie

For the case, consider the 730T.  Here's why.
https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-6407.html
Not only that barbsie already set up his configuration, but he also got 50C with 4 Ti at 75% fan speed, where your solution offers 53C with 4 normal 1080 at 90% fan speed. Not sure why the 730T would be a good choice.
The case is fine: there's fan's at front, back and top. I also tested temps by removing the side panel, and it really didn't make much of a difference. It's ok now... No extra cooling needed anymore.

This thing flies Wink
(04-14-2017, 03:06 PM)Flomac Wrote: Not only that barbsie already set up his configuration, but he also got 50C with 4 Ti at 75% fan speed, where your solution offers 53C with 4 normal 1080 at 90% fan speed. Not sure why the 730T would be a good choice.

The test that I did with 1 GTX 1080 FE (not 4) produced that result of 53 C.  It was done by testing several million SHA1 hashes.

Also, temps will be affected by the hash type as well as how many you are trying to crack.  For example, if I try to crack a single SHA1 hash, then I will get temps into the high 60's into the low 70's.  If I try to crack several million hashes, then I usually get a temperature from the low to mid 50's.  This was with a GTX 1080 FE with the fan at 100 percent.

The selected case and cooling solution are not the only factors when it comes to thermal performance.

For an accurate cross comparison of the two cases, you need to have static variables for such a test.  The selected video cards, fan speeds, hash types, and number of hashes should be the same for an accurate cross comparison.  The internal layout is also a factor.  Corsair has a habit of putting a hard drive cage right in front of the bottom front case fan in most of their designs (Corsair calls this cage their "Modular drive cage system").  I left my hard drive cage in that position, which blocks the airflow from the bottom fan.  For all I know, barbsie removed that cage and has better airflow.

But why should you buy the 730T instead of the 750D?  The 750D is $180 and the 730T is $140.  I'll take the less expensive option with the possibility of modding any day of the week over the alternative.  Additionally, I had a 750D that had a noise problem since the door doesn't always fit well to the frame with model.  I never had that noise issue with the 730T.  On top of that, I prefer the 730T because I can just open the side door to do maintenance.  It's fast and easy and doesn't require unscrewing two screws the way the 750D does.

If I haven't convinced you by now that the 730T is the better option, then I'm not going to.  To each his/her own.