How do I speed up my laptop
I have a fairly old Gateway NE56R13u laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit running on it. It's got a Intel Celeron CPU B820 1.70GHz processor. The fastest hashes/second I can get with it on The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) linux is around 1250 h/s. I'm trying to crack a password 10,000,000,000 different combinations. Is their anyway I can speed my computer up so it won't take 95 days to crack the password? 1250 h/s seems incredibly slow to me. If I didn't say a spec that might be important, please ask. I've been working at this for a few weeks now so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BTW: Here's my commands for hashcat: hashcat -m 2500 -a 3 -w 4 /root/Desktop/hashcap.hccap ?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d
There is no magic way of speeding up old hardware. Buy or rent some faster one.
You need to buy gaming laptop or PC. Gaming laptops are hashing only...
(05-21-2018, 06:20 PM)camer333 Wrote: You need to buy gaming laptop or PC. Gaming laptops are hashing only...
I would skip the laptop.
I think so Big Grin
Ask someone with a proper gaming-PC if you could let run hashcat for a few hours. Should be enough.
Using hashcat on systems for which you are not explicitly authorized to do so ... is a very, very bad idea. What you're describing is certainly unethical, and may even be illegal (but IANAL and this is not legal advice; consult your attorney).

For a single card in a desktop system, a GTX 1080 is a reasonable performance/price point (assuming a higher-end budget). A 1080Ti is faster, but is more expensive.
~
(06-04-2018, 03:42 AM)royce Wrote: Using hashcat on systems for which you are not explicitly authorized to do so ... is a very, very bad idea. What you're describing is certainly unethical, and may even be illegal (but IANAL and this is not legal advice; consult your attorney).

For a single card in a desktop system, a GTX 1080 is a reasonable performance/price point (assuming a higher-end budget). A 1080Ti is faster, but is more expensive.
Thanks royce. I think I am just going to get a better computer or a video card. Probably best to stay away from computers in stores or that I don't own. I found this GTX 1080 on ebay is it the one your talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-GeForce-...Swb39bEtDg

Thanks for the quick response!
That's some kind of weird GPU subscription/membership thing I've never seen before. But the card itself looks right. The "Founders Edition" cards are the hardiest and have the best cooling design - but for a single card in a single chassis, it's less important and you could get one of the gaming-grade 1080s instead.
~
I can only warn to enter into such deals. Ne protection from ebay, no guarantee you're getting a real GTX1080 and not a relabeld slow crap with a modified BIOS to avoid the real GPU name. What happens if it's dead and they blame YOU that it is broken now?