Hashcat / rig troubleshooting
Hi all,

I have build a rig a few months ago and its its working great apart from one thing. Whenever I start cracking for longer than about 20 minutes the hashcat shell just freezes. If i walk into the room where my rig is its clear its not cracking anymore due to the fans not blowing anymore. The system is still running however and i can just start up a new shell if i want to.

I was wondering if you guys have ideas on how i can start troubleshooting this, (certain logfiles, monitoring software etc) to see what causes this issue and if it can be resolved.

My rig is running windows and has 6x RX580 and 4x RX570. I use SSH to log into it. (Ive also tried running it without ssh and with a monitor and same problem happens)

Thanks!
I would rather try testing with only a few cards to troubleshoot it.

could be power problem and/or temperature problem. Is the system motherboard (using risers ?) etc even compatible with that power drain. What about the PSU(s) ? how do you (externally) power all those cards (I guess you know that some power comes over PCI but the remaining part directly over the power cables from the PSU, so 2 possible points of failures) ?

Start with 2 cards, see how long it runs... add another card, see how long it runs etc... you will quiet quickly find out what happens and what the problem could be
(07-11-2020, 12:32 PM)philsmd Wrote: I would rather try testing with only a few cards to troubleshoot it.

could be power problem and/or temperature problem. Is the system motherboard (using risers ?) etc even compatible with that power drain.

Start with 2 cards, see how long it runs... add another card, see how long it runs etc... you will quiet quickly find out what happens and what the problem could be

Great idea, thanks!
(07-11-2020, 12:32 PM)philsmd Wrote: I would rather try testing with only a few cards to troubleshoot it.

could be power problem and/or temperature problem. Is the system motherboard (using risers ?) etc even compatible with that power drain. What about the PSU(s) ? how do you (externally) power all those cards (I guess you know that some power comes over PCI but the remaining part directly over the power cables from the PSU, so 2 possible points of failures) ? 

I have the h110m btc motherboard and have 2 PSU's (one 1200w and one 1000w) powering it. I did run into power issues before but noticed the system would crash then, that was before upgrading my psu's to what i currently use.
Do you use powered-risers ?
Btw, i couldnt find h-110m do you have a h-110pro ?
If it‘s a 110pro you should also plugin both PCIe-Power connector.
(07-11-2020, 03:11 PM)Sondero Wrote: Do you use powered-risers ?
Btw, i couldnt find h-110m do you have a h-110pro ?
If it‘s a 110pro you should also plugin both PCIe-Power connector.
Right, my bad. Its the pro indeed.

With both power connectors you mean the one directly to the psu and the power connector on the riser? I believe those are the two places that are connected to the psu. And then you have the riser connected to the motherboard ofcourse.
There are 2x connectors on the mainboard for the PCIe-Power supply.
I would also use powered PCIe-Riser cards.

Have you tested you system with obly 2-3 cards like philsmd wrote ?