Cracking DES With HashCat
is this possible to cracking descrypte hashes with HashCat ?
i want to do it ...
Thanks
descrypt - yes
des - no
Hi atom, may I know if it would be possible to add DES(Unix) hash type support to Hashcat CPU in the near future?
I am not planning it. Try JtR. Its the king of DES @ CPU. Any reason why you want it in hashcat?
Yeah, I use JTR for all my des(unix) hashes but nearly all hash types I've tried with hashcat are [much] faster than most other programs, I thought it would be great if hashcat could add it, ergo cracking des faster.

p.s. little off-topic, since i'm not really one with the patches or technical files related to jtr, would you mind telling me which community patch would be best/fastest for cracking des unix hashes using JTR (there are patches e.g. jumbo-5, omp-des-4, omp-des-7 or even jumbo-2-omp-des-4-mscash2)? if you know, could you point out which would be the most suitable? thanks!
I dont know, sry. You may ask the john-users mailing list.
(03-18-2012, 07:23 PM)atom Wrote: I am not planning it. Try JtR. Its the king of DES @ CPU. Any reason why you want it in hashcat?

JTR can only run in one CPU core,but hashcat can run in all CPU core.If in a 16 CPU cores system,hashcat will be 16 times faster than JTR.
(05-15-2012, 04:04 AM)perlish Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 07:23 PM)atom Wrote: I am not planning it. Try JtR. Its the king of DES @ CPU. Any reason why you want it in hashcat?

JTR can only run in one CPU core,but hashcat can run in all CPU core.If in a 16 CPU cores system,hashcat will be 16 times faster than JTR.

Not true. You can compile JtR with OpenMP to enable usage of all cores. Edit src/Makefile to do this.

(03-19-2012, 08:02 AM)Kakoose Wrote: Yeah, I use JTR for all my des(unix) hashes but nearly all hash types I've tried with hashcat are [much] faster than most other programs, I thought it would be great if hashcat could add it, ergo cracking des faster.

p.s. little off-topic, since i'm not really one with the patches or technical files related to jtr, would you mind telling me which community patch would be best/fastest for cracking des unix hashes using JTR (there are patches e.g. jumbo-5, omp-des-4, omp-des-7 or even jumbo-2-omp-des-4-mscash2)? if you know, could you point out which would be the most suitable? thanks!

Try jumbo-5 patch and enable OpenMP / MPI in Makefile.

Latest code is at https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo
(05-15-2012, 07:16 AM)halfie Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 04:04 AM)perlish Wrote:

Not true. You can compile JtR with OpenMP to enable usage of all cores. Edit src/Makefile to do this.

(03-19-2012, 08:02 AM)Kakoose Wrote: Yeah, I use JTR for all my des(unix) hashes but nearly all hash types I've tried with hashcat are [much] faster than most other programs, I thought it would be great if hashcat could add it, ergo cracking des faster.

Try jumbo-5 patch and enable OpenMP / MPI in Makefile.

Latest code is at https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo

I've tried jumbo5-JTR with MPI,but it make me sad,it's not REALLY MPI,it only run server process to do the same thing.

you can do a test for it.
1.add a user test123 with password test123(or sth others in the dictionary) in a linux.
2.use JTR with MPI to crack the shadow file. mpirun -n 8 ./john /etc/shadow .
3.you will see the john will crack the password "test123" for 8 times.

so I thought JTR+MPI did not speed up the crack.
wordlists and mpi wont work, need -i