X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
#1
I installed Bumblebee so I could manage the power conspumtion of my NVidia GT650M.
Hashcat was running fine before, but after that I keep getting the following error:

Code:
hashcat (v3.00-1-g67a8d97) starting... OpenCL Platform #1: NVIDIA Corporation   ====================================== - Device #1: GeForce GT 650M, 511/2047 MB allocatable, 2MCU - Device #1: WARNING! Kernel exec timeout is not disabled, it might cause you errors of code 702             See the wiki on how to disable it: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=timeout_patch WARN: nvmlDeviceGetFanSpeed() 3 Not Supported X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)  Major opcode of failed request:  156 (NV-CONTROL)  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 ()  Value in failed request:  0x17  Serial number of failed request:  11  Current serial number in output stream:  11

clinfo gives me this:

Code:
bernardo@bernardo-UX51VZA:~/hashcat-3.00$ clinfo Number of platforms                               1  Platform Name                                   NVIDIA CUDA  Platform Vendor                                 NVIDIA Corporation  Platform Version                                OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 8.0.20  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_icd cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_nv_compiler_options cl_nv_device_attribute_query cl_nv_pragma_unroll cl_nv_copy_opts  Platform Extensions function suffix             NV  Platform Name                                   NVIDIA CUDA Number of devices                                 1  Device Name                                     GeForce GT 650M  Device Vendor                                   NVIDIA Corporation  Device Vendor ID                                0x10de  Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.2 CUDA  Driver Version                                  361.42  Device OpenCL C Version                         OpenCL C 1.2  Device Type                                     GPU  Device Profile                                  FULL_PROFILE  Device Topology (NV)                            PCI-E, 01:00.0  Max compute units                               2  Max clock frequency                             835MHz  Compute Capability (NV)                         3.0  Device Partition                                (core)    Max number of sub-devices                     1    Supported partition types                     None  Max work item dimensions                        3  Max work item sizes                             1024x1024x64  Max work group size                             1024  Preferred work group size multiple              32  Warp size (NV)                                  32  Preferred / native vector sizes                    char                                                 1 / 1          short                                                1 / 1          int                                                  1 / 1          long                                                 1 / 1          half                                                 0 / 0        (n/a)    float                                                1 / 1          double                                               1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp64)  Half-precision Floating-point support           (n/a)  Single-precision Floating-point support         (core)    Denormals                                     Yes    Infinity and NANs                             Yes    Round to nearest                              Yes    Round to zero                                 Yes    Round to infinity                             Yes    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               Yes    Support is emulated in software               No    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  Yes  Double-precision Floating-point support         (cl_khr_fp64)    Denormals                                     Yes    Infinity and NANs                             Yes    Round to nearest                              Yes    Round to zero                                 Yes    Round to infinity                             Yes    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               Yes    Support is emulated in software               No    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  No  Address bits                                    64, Little-Endian  Global memory size                              2147287040 (2GiB)  Error Correction support                        No  Max memory allocation                           536821760 (512MiB)  Unified memory for Host and Device              No  Integrated memory (NV)                          No  Minimum alignment for any data type             128 bytes  Alignment of base address                       4096 bits (512 bytes)  Global Memory cache type                        Read/Write  Global Memory cache size                        32768  Global Memory cache line                        128 bytes  Image support                                   Yes    Max number of samplers per kernel             32    Max size for 1D images from buffer            134217728 pixels    Max 1D or 2D image array size                 2048 images    Max 2D image size                             16384x16384 pixels    Max 3D image size                             4096x4096x4096 pixels    Max number of read image args                 256    Max number of write image args                16  Local memory type                               Local  Local memory size                               49152 (48KiB)  Registers per block (NV)                        65536  Max constant buffer size                        65536 (64KiB)  Max number of constant args                     9  Max size of kernel argument                     4352 (4.25KiB)  Queue properties                                    Out-of-order execution                        Yes    Profiling                                     Yes  Prefer user sync for interop                    No  Profiling timer resolution                      1000ns  Execution capabilities                              Run OpenCL kernels                            Yes    Run native kernels                            No    Kernel execution timeout (NV)                 Yes  Concurrent copy and kernel execution (NV)       Yes    Number of async copy engines                  1  printf() buffer size                            1048576 (1024KiB)  Built-in kernels                                  Device Available                                Yes  Compiler Available                              Yes  Linker Available                                Yes  Device Extensions                               cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_icd cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_nv_compiler_options cl_nv_device_attribute_query cl_nv_pragma_unroll cl_nv_copy_opts NULL platform behavior  clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  NVIDIA CUDA  clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   Success [NV]  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            Success [NV]  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No devices found in platform  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  No platform  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No devices found in platform  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No devices found in platform  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  No platform ICD loader properties  ICD loader Name                                 OpenCL ICD Loader  ICD loader Vendor                               OCL Icd free software  ICD loader Version                              2.2.8  ICD loader Profile                              OpenCL 1.2 NOTE: your OpenCL library declares to support OpenCL 1.2, but it seems to support up to OpenCL 2.1 too.
#2
Try with --gpu-temp-disable
#3
(08-14-2016, 09:03 PM)atom Wrote: Try with --gpu-temp-disable

it worked.. thanks a lot!!!
could you explain why do I need to use this option now?
#4
You don't need to if you installation is clean. It's just a workaround.
#5
Hello.

I'm having the same issue on GTX 1080.

I'm running latest hashcat (v3.00-97-g57ce1fd) freshly compiled from git with DEBUG=1 on Debian Jessie 8 (x64) with all latest updates with NVIDIA 367.35 drivers from nvidia.com website.

I'm running xdm in headless mode just fine, because I can control the fan manually via:

Code:
sudo nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1" \     -a "[gpu:0]/GPULogoBrightness=0" \     -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" \     -a "[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100"

Code:
$ nvidia-smi +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | NVIDIA-SMI 367.35                 Driver Version: 367.35                    | |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+ | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC | | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. | |===============================+======================+======================| |   0  GeForce GTX 1080    Off  | 0000:01:00.0     Off |                  N/A | |100%   80C    P2   188W / 217W |    973MiB /  8113MiB |    100%      Default | +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Processes:                                                       GPU Memory | |  GPU       PID  Type  Process name                               Usage      | |=============================================================================| |    0     13768    G   /usr/bin/X                                       8MiB | |    0     31344    C   hashcat                                        963MiB | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig # nvidia-xconfig:  version 367.35  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-01)  Mon Jul 11 23:51:45 PDT 2016 Section "ServerLayout"     Identifier     "Layout0"     Screen      0  "Screen0"     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer" EndSection Section "Files" EndSection Section "InputDevice"     # generated from default     Identifier     "Mouse0"     Driver         "mouse"     Option         "Interactive" "False"     Option         "Protocol" "auto"     Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"     Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection Section "InputDevice"     # generated from default     Identifier     "Keyboard0"     Driver         "kbd"     Option         "Interactive" "False" EndSection Section "Monitor"     Identifier     "Monitor0" #    VendorName     "Unknown" #    ModelName      "Unknown" #    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0 #    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0 #    Option         "DPMS" EndSection Section "Device"     Identifier     "Device0"     Driver         "nvidia"     Option         "Interactive" "False"     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"     BoardName      "GeForce GTX 1080" EndSection Section "Screen"     Identifier     "Screen0"     Device         "Device0"     Monitor        "Monitor0"     DefaultDepth    24     Option         "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "True"     Option         "Coolbits" "12" #    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "Monitor0" #    Option         "RegistryDwords" "PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"     SubSection     "Display"         Depth       24     EndSubSection EndSection


/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup:
Code:
#!/bin/sh export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin export HOME=/root export DISPLAY=:0 xset -dpms xset s off xhost +


but If I install libxnvctrl0 hashcat stops working, gives me this error:

Code:
OpenCL Platform #2: NVIDIA Corporation ====================================== - Device #2: GeForce GTX 1080, 2028/8113 MB allocatable, 20MCU X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)  Major opcode of failed request:  157 (NV-CONTROL)  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 ()  Value in failed request:  0x17  Serial number of failed request:  11  Current serial number in output stream:  11


I've tried different versions of libxnvctrl0 (also tried specifically 367.35 which matches the driver) but still no luck.

I know it's recommended to use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the wiki, but I don't like Ubuntu much because it's not stable enough for me for server usage, so I stick with Debian.

The only workaround I've found so far is to force manually fan to 100% (otherwise fan stays at 30-50% max and card is throttled once reaches 82, with fan 100% - card is at 80 degrees under max load) and use nvidia-smi as well to raise power to 217W as was suggested in forums to get maximum of the card. Simply removing libxnvctrl0 from the system makes hashcat work again and you can see in the status temperature and that fan is running at 100%. I don't want to run hashcat with --gpu-temp-disable because I'd like to see the actual temp/fan in the hashcat's status.

Any ideas why it might be not working and how to debug the actual cause?
#6
Try running hashcat as root
#7
(08-20-2016, 09:13 PM)atom Wrote: Try running hashcat as root

I've tried -- didn't help. I'm running a session now.

But I will try bit later and report back.
#8
I've tried again - no luck.

Once I install the library it stops working, also tried different versions of the library - doesn't work.

My XSetup is correct though - because I was able to manipulate fan speed manually.
#9
Then maybe the mapping is not (NVML to OpenCL). Does the fanspeed reading work correctly?
#10
(08-27-2016, 10:43 PM)atom Wrote: Then maybe the mapping is not (NVML to OpenCL). Does the fanspeed reading work correctly?

Fanspeed reading works correctly, it displays the same value as nvidia-smi.