MD5 and the Diminishing Passwords Rule
#1
I have made this odd rule I like to use now and then…

Code:
] ]] ]]] ]]]] ]]]]] ]]]]]] ]]]]]]] ]]]]]]]] [ [[ [[[ [[[[ [[[[[ [[[[[[ [[[[[[[ [[[[[[[[ [] [][] [][][] [][][][] [][][][][] [][][][][][] [][][][][][][] [][][][][][][][]

I call it the diminishing password rule. I am sure it doesn’t need any explanation.

The odd thing with it is that it works ok when testing .hccaps but not when testing MD5. When I use this rule against MD5 I get the following error.


Code:
ERROR: ERROR: clGetPlatformIDs() -1001

I could imagine it not working against .hccap as they have to be over 8 characters but it does work and obviously I get a lot of rejections but it runs successfully. But I am surprised that this should get stuck against MD5 whose password length could be down to 1.

Is this a bug or is it something I have done wrong ?

Thanks.
Reply
#2
Are you sure about that?

The clGetPlatformIDs() -1001 error is something that if you get it you will get it for both md5 or wpa. there is no difference.
Reply
#3
Hi atom

Yes I am absolutely certain of it. Smile

I have tried this on Win 7 with ocl-hashcat-plus v0.09b and my trusty old XP computer running ocl-hashcat-plus v0.07.

Exactly the same result, every time.

Using the rule file above, a word list and a .hccap file it works. Well, it appears to be testing I don’t know if it is actually working, but it looks like it. Then using everything exactly the same apart from swapping the .hccap for a single MD5 and swapping the mode to MD5 it displays the error above.
Reply
#4
Just in case, can you post both the command line that you use.
Reply
#5
Please send me the dictionary you are using. I have a suspect Smile
Reply
#6
(06-23-2012, 11:19 AM)atom Wrote: Please send me the dictionary you are using. I have a suspect Smile

Well done atom !! ... and hey I'm not mental after all !!! Ha ha !! I was starting to get paranoid with this find and the hybid mask thing only affecting me !!! ...phew !

The file I used was pretty big so a little difficult to send. Do you mind if I try to find a smaller one that gives the same error or would you mind telling me what to test, as in what to put in or take out of the file ?

If it is absolutely imperative for you to have the exact file then I will of course make the extra effort and get it to you.

All my files, including the big one, are cleaned up considerably. I remove all junk and they are formatted CrLF if that helps.

(06-22-2012, 09:30 PM)mastercracker Wrote: Just in case, can you post both the command line that you use.

Sorry, I missed your post because I saw that atom had possibly found the problem.

Code:
oclHashcat-plus32.exe --rules-file Diminishing_Password.rule 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6 passlist.txt oclHashcat-plus32.exe --hash-type 2500 --rules-file Diminishing_Password.rule test.hccap passlist.txt

Atom,

I have found this problem with a really small list, same thing happens with this below.

I can still send you the large one if you really need it but this gives the same error.

Code:
0000 000000 00000000 007007 101010 102030 1029384756 1100101 111 1111 11111 111111 1111111 11111111 112233 1123581321 1212 121212 123 123123 123123123 123321 1234 12341234 12345 123456 1234567 12345678 123456789 1234567890 123456a 1234qwer 123654 123abc 123qaz 123qwe 123qweasd 12qwaszx 1313 131313 1314520 142857 147258 147258369 159357 159753 1q2w3e 1q2w3e4r 1q2w3e4r5t 1qaz2wsx 1qaz@wsx 1qazxsw2 2000 2112 2222 222222 232323 31337 314159 31415926 3333 333333 4128 4321 4444 5150 5201314 5555 55555 555555 654321 666 6666 666666 6969 696969 741852963 7758258 7758521 7777 777777 7777777 778899 789456 789456123 8675309 87654321 888888 88888888 951753 987654 987654321 999999 a12345 a123456 a1s2d3f4 aaaa aaaaaa aaaaaaaa abc123 abcd1234 abcdef abcdefgh abgrtyu access access14 acidburn action adidas admin airsnow albert alex alexander alexis aliali alpha amanda amateur andrea andrew angel angela angels animal anthony apollo apple apples arsenal arthur asd123 asdasd asdasdasd asddsa asdf asdf123 asdf1234 asdfasdf asdfg asdfgh asdfghjkl asdzxc asfsadfasdg ashley asshole atlantis august austin avatar azerty baby badboy bailey banana bananas barney baseball batman beach bear beaver beavis beer benjamin bigcock bigdaddy bigdick bigdog bigtits bill billy birdie bitch bitches biteme blabla blablabla black blackhat blah blahblah blanah blaster blazer blonde blondes blowjob blowme blue bond007 bonnie booboo boobs booger boomer booty boston brandon brandy braves brazil brian bronco broncos bubba buddy buffalo bulldog bullshit buster butter butterfly butthead byteme calvin camaro cameron canada captain carlos carter casper catdog changeme charles charlie cheese chelsea chester chevy chicago chicken chris cocacola cock coffee college common compaq computer consumer cookie cool cooper corvette courtney cowboy cowboys cream creative crystal cumming cumshot cunt dakota dallas dammit daniel danielle darkness dave david death debbie dennis destiny dexter dfsvcgbv diablo diamond dick dirty doctor doggie dolphin dolphins donald download dragon dreams driver drowssap drpepper dummy dvcfghyt eagle eagle1 eagles eclipse edward einstein elephant eminem enigma enjoy enter enterprise eric erotic extreme falcon family fantasy fender ferrari ferret ffffff ficken fire firebird fish fishing fjwopska flash florida flower fluffy flyers foobar football ford forever forgot frank freaky fred freddy freedom fuck fucked fucker fuckfuck fucking fuckit fuckme fuckoff fucku2 fuckyou future gandalf garfield gateway gators geheim gemini genius george gfhjkm giants ginger girl girls gizmodo godzilla gogogo golden golf golfer google gordon great green gregory guitar gunner hack hacker hackers hackme hacktheplanet haha hahaha halflife hallo hammer hannah happy hardcore harley haselko heather hello hello1 hello123 helloworld helpme henrbn hentai hockey hooters horney horny hotdog hotmail house hunter hunting iceman iddqd ilovecomet iloveyou immortal inferno internet iwantu jack jackie jackson jaguar jake james jamesbond japan jasmine jason jasper jennifer jeremy jessica jessie jesus john johnny johnson jonathan jordan joseph joshua juice junior justdoit justin katana kelly kevin keyboard kickass killer king kissmyass kitty kkkkkk knight l3tm31n ladies lakers lalala lauren lawrence leather legend letmein letmein1 lifehack little login lol lol123 lollol london lonewolf love loveme lover lovers lucifer lucky maddog madison madman maggie magic magnum mandrake marine mark marlboro martin marvin master masters matrix matt matthew maverick maxmax maxwell mayday melissa member mercedes merlin metallica mexico michael michelle mickey microsoft midnight mike miller mine mistress mmmmmm mnbvcxz money monica monkey monster morgan mother mountain movie muffin murphy music mustang mypassword myrootkit naked nascar nathan naughty ncc1701 nelson nemesis neverwinter newyork nicholas nicole nigger nintendo nipple nipples nirvana noname nopass nopassword nothing novell oicu812 oliver openup orange ou812 p455w0rd p4ssw0rd p@$$w0rd p@ssw0rd pa55w0rd packard packers panther panties paris parker parola pass pass123 passme passpass passw0rd passwd password password1 password123 passwordpassword passwordtest patrick paul pavilion peaches peanut penis pepper pepsi peter phantom phoenix pikachu pineapple player please pokemon pookie poop poopoo porn porno porsche pouet power pppppp prince princess private pumpkin purple pussies pussy q1w2e3 q1w2e3r4 q1w2e3r4t5 q2w3e4r5 qawsed qaz123 qazwsx qazwsxedc qazxsw qazxswedc qqqqqq qqqqqqqq qscez12 qwaszx qwe123 qweasd qweasdzxc qweqwe qwer qwer1234 qwert qwerty qwerty1 qwerty123 qwertyui qwertyuiop qwertz r00t r00tk1t r00tkit r4nd1x rabbit rachel racing raiders rainbow ranger rangers raptor rebecca red123 redhat redskins redsox redwings remember richard robert rock rocket root rootkit rootkit1 rootkit123 rootkit4me rootkitcom rootkitpass rootkitpassword rootkits rootpass rosebud runner rush2112 russia sakura samantha sammy samson samsung samurai sandra saturn scooby scooter scorpio scorpion scott secret security semperfi server sexsex sexy shadow shannon shaved shit shithead sierra silver simone simple skippy slayer slipknot slut smith smokey snoopy soccer something sommer sophie spanky sparky spider squirt srinivas ssssss star starcraft stargate stars startrek starwars steelers stefan steve steven sticky stupid success suckit summer sunshine super superman surfer swimming swordfish sydney system taylor teens temp123 tennis teresa terror test test123 test1234 tester testing testing123 testpass testpasword testtest theman thomas thunder thx1138 tiffany tiger tigers tigger tiktoor time tits tkfkdgo tomcat tomtom topgun tornado toyota tralala travis trinity trouble trustno1 tucker turtle united unknown utopia vagina vampire verbatim vfcdsdar victor victoria video viking viper voodoo voyager walter warcraft warrior water welcome whatever white whoami wibble wicked william willie wilson windows winner winston winter wizard woaini wolf women wordpass xavier xxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxx yahoo yamaha yankee yankees yellow yomama young yyyyyy zaq12wsx zaqwsx zerocool zxcvbn zxcvbnm zzzzzz
Reply
#7
It's probably not the problem but you could remove uncertainties by being precise in your command line. For your MD5 example, include the --hash-type 0 and put your hash in a text file instead of putting it directly in the command line. Try to see if you get the same mistake. If it still does, at least you will have compared the same thing together.
Reply
#8
Thanks mastercracker I think we are a little further forward !

If I try to put the hash "in line" I get the error above.

If I try a larger text file with different hashes in (still MD5) it fails !

I have however found a list of MD5 where it doesn't fail, not sure why.

Could it possibly be something to do with how HC filters the list when checking to see if the rule will work ?

I may have this wrong so let me do this properly and report back.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT

This seems more to do with the size of the hash list, however I am getting really tired now and I may be making mistakes as I am beta testing other software tonight I also have another bug report here Smile

I will experiment further in the morning and get back to you with something reproducible. ... I hope.
Reply
#9
I can not reproduce it Sad I even used a 32 bit version:

Quote:root@sf:~/oclHashcat-plus-0.09# ./oclHashcat-plus32.bin --hash-type 2500 --rules-file Diminishing_Password.rule test.hccap passlist.txt --gpu-temp-disable
** Valid keyfile for beta usage: atom (expires 07.06.2013)

oclHashcat-plus v0.09 by atom starting...

Hashes: 1
Unique salts: 1
Unique digests: 1
Bitmaps: 8 bits, 256 entries, 0x000000ff mask, 1024 bytes
Rules: 24
GPU-Loops: 128
GPU-Accel: 16
Password lengths range: 8 - 15
Platform: AMD compatible platform found
WARN: ADL_Main_Control_Create(): -1

Watchdog: Temperature abort trigger disabled
Watchdog: Temperature retain trigger disabled
Device #1: Cayman, 1024MB, 0Mhz, 24MCU
Device #2: Cayman, 1024MB, 0Mhz, 24MCU
Device #1: Allocating 28MB host-memory
Device #1: Kernel ./kernels/4098/m2500.Cayman_938.1_1.4.1741.kernel (2084228 bytes)
Device #2: Allocating 28MB host-memory
Device #2: Kernel ./kernels/4098/m2500.Cayman_938.1_1.4.1741.kernel (2084228 bytes)

Scanned dictionary passlist.txt: 6156 bytes, 827 words, 19848 keyspace, starting attack...


Status.......: Exhausted
Rules.Type...: File (Diminishing_Password.rule)
Input.Mode...: File (passlist.txt)
Hash.Target..: hashcat (00:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa <-> aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa)
Hash.Type....: WPA/WPA2
Time.Running.: 0 secs
Time.Left....: 0 secs
Time.Util....: 686.3ms/0.0ms Real/CPU, 0.0% idle
Speed........: 322 c/s Real, 0 c/s GPU
Recovered....: 0/1 Digests, 0/1 Salts
Progress.....: 19848/19848 (100.00%)
Rejected.....: 19627/19848 (98.89%)

Started: Tue Jun 26 11:54:44 2012
Stopped: Tue Jun 26 11:54:45 2012
Reply
#10
(06-26-2012, 11:56 AM)atom Wrote: I can not reproduce it Sad I even used a 32 bit version:

Well, thanks for trying atom.

I guess as this is another instance where it is just me experiencing the problem then it must be something I am doing.

Please don't waste your time on this atom, it must be me for some reason.

I will keep playing with it as it does keep happening and I will try to find a reason myself. I don't want you to waste valuable coding time on it ! Smile
Reply