LUKS benchmarks and estimated times
#1
I've been reading the docs, example benchmarks, and running hashcat locally against the LUKS header of my usb drive that contains some valuable data. The password is at least 10 characters, so I know this is a challenge. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to try and crack it, or if I should let it go. I've investigated cloud options like Google- and it seems like the Tesla GPUs they offer aren't great for cracking. The benchmarks I've seen posted for various GPUs don't include LUKS (mode 14600 doesn't seem to be in the default benchmarking list)

I'm pretty sure the password doesn't contain any real words, so narrowing it down with rules, etc will be hard.

It's hard to figure out how long cracking this thing might take on any given GPU/set of GPUs
Here's the output of cryptSetup:

Code:
sudo cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdb2 LUKS header information for /dev/sdb2 Version:        1 Cipher name:    aes Cipher mode:    cbc-essiv:sha256 Hash spec:      sha1 Payload offset: 4096 MK bits:        256 MK digest:      bb 49 14 91 26 e1 be 4e 45 2c 9e 81 15 95 45 43 14 1d 9c eb  MK salt:        09 b3 d0 c4 15 8e cb 0b 4c 20 02 39 a3 71 7c 67                  61 5c 3a ef 8b 3f f9 87 fb d5 bc 03 b9 eb ca 21  MK iterations: 18750 UUID:          4f85fbe5-2d73-47e4-a59f-3ae3b080d913 Key Slot 0: ENABLED Iterations:          75125 Salt:                3d cd 01 61 14 4b 33 a4 70 b7 a7 ca 5d ee 53 54                        db 82 f9 69 df cd 21 42 7f 6f 56 20 1f 45 9e cc  Key material offset: 8 AF stripes:            4000 Key Slot 1: DISABLED Key Slot 2: DISABLED Key Slot 3: DISABLED Key Slot 4: DISABLED Key Slot 5: DISABLED Key Slot 6: DISABLED Key Slot 7: DISABLED

I'm willing to drop some cash on a cracking rig, or pay someone to use theirs, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how crackable this thing is. Running it locally on my macbook pro seems to suggest it will take many thousands of years, which isn't promising :[


Messages In This Thread
LUKS benchmarks and estimated times - by danr - 11-27-2017, 04:15 AM