Combine mask attack with combinator
Dear all,

I am trying to crack a semi random password of length 9-12 characters. Based on patterns in the semi random password (patterns in other semi random passwords) I defined 4 character sets which combined with numbers represent the password. I know that some blocks of 2-3 characters stick together.
I can define these different pieces as different mask each on a new line in a mask file, e.g. two digits (?d?d) for sure next to each-other, some characters (?1?2?2) for sure next to each-other. In this way, I can reduce the number of orders in the password from 10! to 7!, which is a huge difference.

My questions is, after defining these pieces of the puzzle, how to look for different orders of these pieces?
I checked the standard rules to see if there is a rule available, but I did not find a rule that could check for different orders. I know we have the combinator attack, but I do not know if and how that can be used in combination with a mask attack, as far as I know it only works with a brute-force password list. Generating such a list is slow and might be more than my HD can handle.

A last resort I can think of is to write a script to generate all possible orders as mask pattern and put them in the mask file, but I think this might blow up hashcat and be inefficient. Hence my question is there a more straightforward way to look at orders/combinations of masks.

Messages In This Thread
Combine mask attack with combinator - by monyanus - 09-04-2021, 09:50 AM