Distributed Computing for cracking a long passwd
(07-09-2012, 01:58 AM)Bitweasil Wrote: I'm a bit confused. If you know the password is len30, and you know the first 26 characters, why would you need distributed computing? That's only 4 unknown positions.

I'm not sure where the "up to 10 more chars" comes in...

We are not sure how big it's the unknown part of the password. We only know that it has over 30 chars and we know the first 26 chars. We are assuming that 10 more chars after the 26 known, maybe enough to do the job...

Probably i haven't explained myself very well earlier...

(07-09-2012, 04:44 AM)epixoip Wrote: oclhashcat cannot crack passwords > 16 chars.

Following the above explanation, we are assuming the unknown part of the passwd can be up to 10 more chars beyond the 26 chars that we already know.

The hole passwd is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAxxxxxxxxxx, where the A's are the known 26 chars and the x's are the unknown chars of the hole passwd. So we are only interested in the last 10 chars of the passwd.

And just for clearing things maybe i said wrong when i wrote "up to 30 chars". I meant over 30 chars, or that the minimum lenth of the unknown part of the passwd ir 4 chars.

Hope i made my self clear this time...

Cheers

Messages In This Thread
RE: Distributed Computing for cracking a long passwd - by HelloShitty - 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM