old TrueCrypt volumes
OK, so I've come a long way these last days from never having cracked a password before in my life by reading and trying, but I can't get the masking right. It's not written in a way I understand it. Let me explain the setup;

I know *all* the characters used for the passphrases, a very limited selection;

;:,.!@#$%&()_-+=
XxZzJjTtUuQq

and I know the passphrases have no spaces in them, and must be
a minimum of 9 and maximum 12 characters in length.
How do I put that in a mask? And how to emphasize to try the  lower case characters first?

I just need a good example, from then on I will understand I'm sure. I know RegEx and batch and bash quite well, but the question mark in a mask, what does it mean?

I'm cracking on Windows 7 x64 now, since that is a system with the fastest GPU (a 1080 Ti) in it.
It's a selection of 10 TrueCrypt Volumes, *.tc I need to find the passwd for.
I have created them myself years ago, so I know the basics for the password I used for it. It wasn't top secret material, but I wanted to shield content/profiles etc for snooping people in the same house I lived in back then. When I went away, when the PC was idle, the TC volume drive-letter would auto-Dismount and thereby protecting all my personal content, so none of the people could access/delete/alter it when using that PC in my absense.
This worked fine, but I lost the password management database that had all the passwords in it (never buy a Drobo by the way, non-redundant maps of your beyond-raid volume, ridiculously insecure way of storing data!).

I remember what I created the volumes with, so -m 6222 or -m 6232 are the two to try for me.

hashcat64.exe -m 6222 J:\tc\mooi2009.tc --outfile TCfound
hashcat64.exe -m 6232 J:\tc\mooi2009.tc --outfile TCfound
Do I need to crack these in two following lines since I want it to try 6222 and 6232 modes or can I combine them?

And how does one --outfile the outcomes (if it finds the passes) for all 10 .tc files into 1 or more files, so I can run the cracking in absense? Does it auto-increment the recovered hashes found into the one outfile?

TIA for any help and advice on speeding it up as well.

Messages In This Thread
old TrueCrypt volumes - by Liefde - 11-18-2017, 04:40 PM
RE: old TrueCrypt volumes - by philsmd - 11-18-2017, 05:29 PM