Hashcat CPU ethereum pw recovery
Hi

Have been trying to play around with Hashcat for a while now but never got it correctly working. Bought some ethereum a few years ago and didn't think about it for a while until the price went way up...

My recollection of the password is very low. I have an idea of some of the details but I might have to run through a whole dictionary (and combinations) to have a chance to find it.
My best chance is probably to use a pw recovery service but before doing that I want at least to try the most likely list myself. 

System CPU AMD Ridge X4

AMD A8-9600 Radeon R7

Motherboard Asustek Prime A320M-K

Memory 2x4GB 2133 Mhz DDR

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Also installed Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti.

Hashcat 5.1.0 (older version - tried to install the latest version a while ago and ran into issues with installing)

Problem I haven't been able to solve is: cannot allocate enough device memory Perhaps try with -n hashcat.

I think my GPU's are too old for hashcat so I wanted to try the CPU (added -D 1). Error still persists.
Any suggestions?
(05-16-2021, 03:24 PM)B_Kchurc Wrote: Hi

Have been trying to play around with Hashcat for a while now but never got it correctly working. Bought some ethereum a few years ago and didn't think about it for a while until the price went way up...

My recollection of the password is very low. I have an idea of some of the details but I might have to run through a whole dictionary (and combinations) to have a chance to find it.
My best chance is probably to use a pw recovery service but before doing that I want at least to try the most likely list myself. 

System CPU AMD Ridge X4

AMD A8-9600 Radeon R7

Motherboard Asustek Prime A320M-K

Memory 2x4GB 2133 Mhz DDR

Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Also installed Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti.

Hashcat 5.1.0 (older version - tried to install the latest version a while ago and ran into issues with installing)

Problem I haven't been able to solve is: cannot allocate enough device memory Perhaps try with -n hashcat.

I think my GPU's are too old for hashcat so I wanted to try the CPU (added -D 1). Error still persists.
Any suggestions?

What you need to do is generate a dictionary with possible passwords and mix it with rules, and have the best CPU farm and use the latest version of hashcat Smile
(05-16-2021, 03:35 PM)marc1n Wrote: What you need to do is generate a dictionary with possible passwords and mix it with rules, and have the best CPU farm and use the latest version of hashcat Smile

Well.. it starts with getting any version of hashcat to work. I am not sure investing in hardware is worth it if I cannot even get a simple rule working. Had a ton of problems to install opencl for my AMD GPU and after that ran into problems with NVIDIA driver that is too old for hascat.
Latest version of hashcat probably also needs more recent hardware. That said, if I don't get this version working I will give the latest hashcat version another try.

Is stable (6.0.0) the best option?
I think what you need to understand (and thats only because of ethereum - no other hash mode has this limitation) is that you will not find any gpu with enough memory. maybe the new ones with 48gb but they have not been tested. However, cracking on CPU is fine. So what you need to do is to install the Intel OpenCL runtime and that's even more crazy, because it works best for AMD CPU. But make sure not to install the OpenCL runtime for Intel GPU.
Here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...s/apt.html and don't forget the capitalized -D 1 on the hashcat command line
(05-16-2021, 03:51 PM)atom Wrote: Here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...s/apt.html and don't forget the capitalized -D 1 on the hashcat command line

Thanks, will try that and report back. Any advise what version of hashcat I should use? Currently installed the Ubuntu default 5.1.0.
You need to use 6.2.1 because of the scrypt improvements.
(05-16-2021, 03:51 PM)atom Wrote: Here: https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...s/apt.html and don't forget the capitalized -D 1 on the hashcat command line

Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what to install. The link mentions APT "oneAPI packages". This is a bit confusing and doesn't seem to install opencl unless it is part of one of the packages? sudo apt install intel-basekit does the trick after adding the repository?

OpenCL runtime is mentioned somewhere else:
https://software.intel.com/content/www/u...ivers.html
Intel® CPU Runtime for OpenCL™ Applications 18.1 for Linux* OS (64bit only)
I need to sign up do download this.
The package name is intel-oneapi-runtime-opencl and make sure to uninstall all other OpenCL CPU drivers (mesa, pocl, old intel driver, old amd drivers, ...). You can use old Intel OpenCL CPU drivers (16.04, 18.04) but they come as installer packages only. The oneAPI updates automatically via the repository.
(05-16-2021, 05:31 PM)atom Wrote: The package name is intel-oneapi-runtime-opencl and make sure to uninstall all other OpenCL CPU drivers (mesa, pocl, old intel driver, old amd drivers, ...). You can use old Intel OpenCL CPU drivers (16.04, 18.04) but they come as installer packages only. The oneAPI updates automatically via the repository.

OK thanks again, I will use the apt method then. Maybe do a fresh install if I run into problems. Hope I can get it working.