Questions about benchmarks
Hi I am studying cryptographic algorithms, analytics, parallelism.
First time using and analyzing Hashcat, I am learning about cryptographic algorithm parallelism or acceleration.

I have a question about Hashcat performance measurement.
I used --benchmark-all to see the MH/s of SHA-256.
I have a question about this command.
What formula is used to calculate MH/s when using Hashcat's --benchmark-all?
Or can you tell me which source code file calculates MH/s? I would like to analyze the corresponding performance measurement process code.
Through this question, I would like to know how performance is measured in parallel processing and acceleration.

Please let me know if my question does not conform to the forum rules.
Thank you.
No formula. It's real attack running on the GPU as if you would run it manually.

Code:
$ tools/benchmark_deep.pl 1400

Quote:Executing command: ./hashcat --quiet tmp.hash.1400 --keep-guessing --self-test-disable --markov-disable --restore-disable --outfile-autohex-disable --wordlist-autohex-disable --potfile-disable --logfile-disable --hwmon-disable --status --status-timer 1 --runtime 24 --machine-readable --optimized-kernel-enable --workload-profile 3 --hash-type 1400 --attack-mode 3 ?b?b?b?b?b?b?b --backend-devices 3
(06-02-2021, 06:39 PM)atom Wrote: No formula. It's real attack running on the GPU as if you would run it manually.

Code:
$ tools/benchmark_deep.pl 1400

Quote:Executing command: ./hashcat --quiet tmp.hash.1400 --keep-guessing --self-test-disable --markov-disable --restore-disable --outfile-autohex-disable --wordlist-autohex-disable --potfile-disable --logfile-disable --hwmon-disable --status --status-timer 1 --runtime 24 --machine-readable --optimized-kernel-enable --workload-profile 3 --hash-type 1400 --attack-mode 3 ?b?b?b?b?b?b?b --backend-devices 3

thank you for your answer.
The part I want to know seems to be a little different.
I printed benchmark information using the ./hashcat.exe -a 3 -m 1400 --benchmark-all command.
As a result, Speed.#1..... : 1297 MH/s (8.97ms) was output.

What I am curious about is that the output value of 1297 MH/s (8.97ms) may have resulted in a result of 1297 MH/s due to a specific function.

So, I wanted to know what value and formula was used to calculate the value of 1297 MH/s, or the path of the source code where the calculation process is.

Please let me know if there are any errors in the question
Thank you.
Yeah there is one error. it's not a "formula" or calculation... it's really testing the speed !
no guessing, no general formula involved

it just runs the opencl/cuda code with your device for a few (milli) seconds and checks what the speed is (there are some special options like -O and -w 3 and single/one hashes and huge but still short masks etc involved, also see the optimizers, but that's about it !)

What people often forget is that the attack mode (-a x) and some other inputs (like number of hashes vs single hash optimizations) can have a huge influence. (in general -a 3 is faster in terms of speed, but as many hashcat users notice quite fast is that raw speed isn't all that matters... sometimes it's much more clever to use a more specific attack like rule-based attacks - which have in general less speed but are more effective for non-random passwords).
(06-05-2021, 09:22 AM)philsmd Wrote: Yeah there is one error. it's not a "formula" or calculation... it's really testing the speed !
no guessing, no general formula involved

it just runs the opencl/cuda code with your device for a few (milli) seconds and checks what the speed is (there are some special options like -O and -w 3 and single/one hashes and huge but still short masks etc involved, also see the optimizers, but that's about it !)

What people often forget is that the attack mode (-a x) and some other inputs (like number of hashes vs single hash optimizations) can have a huge influence. (in general -a 3 is faster in terms of speed, but as many hashcat users notice quite fast is that raw speed isn't all that matters... sometimes it's much more clever to use a more specific attack like rule-based attacks - which have in general less speed but are more effective for non-random passwords).

thank you for your answer.
Your answer has been very helpful.
Thank you.