AMD Radeon 7850/R7 265 not showing up - Help
Hello,

This is my first post and I really hope I am not breaking the rules here by asking this as I see the rule:
"Do not post issues about using a GPU that is no longer supported by the latest driver from its vendor".

This is not exactly what I am asking but I hope it is not interpreted as such.

I have an old computer that I decided to dedicate hashcat to, I have installed OpenCL to work with my Intel CPU and it worked great. I managed to get the passwords extracted from PKMIDs and ran an 8 digit (?d?d?d?d?d?d?d?d etc) on a 22000, it executed (exhausted, but still worked). It took 9 hours (Old Intel Q8300 @ 2.5GHz).

So today I wanted to run both my CPU and my GPU together to deduct the length of time.

I am running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) (will probably install Debian or Ubuntu later), so the AMD drivers are already installed by default.

I can not seem to get Hashcat to see my GPU though. I have spent several hours reading Google results but to no avail. This is when I decided I should sign up to the forum as I will probably be asking questions in the future. This forum has been a gold mine for my previous success but for some reason I just can not find any answers to get hashcat to see my GPU.

Any suggestions would be fantastic and to the mods, I really hope this is not breaking a rule; would be a shame as I have nobody to talk to about this and I'm lost in the dark here.

Thanks in advance and thanks for such an amazing tool.
(01-30-2022, 11:49 PM)triskle Wrote: I am running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali)) (will probably install Debian or Ubuntu later), so the AMD drivers are already installed by default.

did you read this info on the landing page?
  • AMD GPUs on Linux require "RadeonOpenCompute (ROCm)" Software Platform (3.1 or later)

this has nothing to do with buil-in graphics drivers for amd, so try installing rocm

second, yeah k-a-l-i isnt the ditro of choice when it comes too hashcat, stick do ubuntu or any other debian, as i think hashcat is developed with a debian distro

see this readme for installation

https://rocmdocs.amd.com/en/latest/Insta...guide-v4-5
(01-31-2022, 01:51 PM)Snoopy Wrote:
(01-30-2022, 11:49 PM)triskle Wrote: I am running The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali))) (will probably install Debian or Ubuntu later), so the AMD drivers are already installed by default.

did you read this info on the landing page?
  • AMD GPUs on Linux require "RadeonOpenCompute (ROCm)" Software Platform (3.1 or later)

this has nothing to do with buil-in graphics drivers for amd, so try installing rocm

second, yeah k-a-l-i isnt the ditro of choice when it comes too hashcat, stick do ubuntu or any other debian, as i think hashcat is developed with a debian distro

see this readme for installation

https://rocmdocs.amd.com/en/latest/Insta...guide-v4-5

Thank you Snoopy!

I may have overlooked that information, I must admit I may have had a little information overload as I spent the entire day reading and writing on my notepad. I did see ROCm mentioned, thanks for pointing that out; I completely missed it. Aye, as I was typing the post out I knew I was going to get backlash for mentioning the OS that should not be named. It was a quick fix to get me back into all this as I dropped it as a hobby years ago. Going to get a more stable install soon (Most likely Debian). 

Again, thanks for the advice Snoopy and taking your time to reply Smile