Running hashcat for the first time?
Hi guys, I'm looking at soon getting a high end laptop and wondering if I would be able to use hashcat on it for a few little projects and tests. Looking at a MSI Katana GF66, RTX3050Ti, 9th Gen i7, 512GB SSD 16GB RAM. How would it handle if and would it be useable?

Thanks Smile
Yes but lapotp is not indicated for hashcat
(09-27-2022, 05:49 PM)marc1n Wrote: laptop is not intended for hashcat

Because laptops are compact in size they don't have proper cooling solutions for running attacks on hashcat very effectively. The components can get too hot and cause the laptop to freeze or potentially damage internal parts. Not saying you can't run hashcat but if you plan on doing attacks for days on end you will not have much success using a laptop. Also take in consideration laptops can have "dumbed" down mobile video cards that consume significantly lower power than a desktop computer typically, this will mean your hashrate between say a desktop component to a laptop component could be 1/2 of that of a desktop in some scenarios. But if you're interested in just testing the waters and running a few attacks here and there for a couple minutes, sure it could work out.
Thanks for that guys hashcat wouldn't be the whole reason for the laptop as well as it wouldn't be for days on end, just for testing a few things every so often. Thanks for the advice guys. Smile