text editor to delete duplicates from pool of large files
Hello
Could you please give me an advice, which text editor or maybe other software could I use to clean duplicates in the folder filled with  a lot of .txt files, which have about 200gb total size? I mean , not the duplicates in every file separately, but to clean duplicates all over those all files in the same folder.

I am using notepad to open those 10+ GB txt files, but i need to clean them up. 
So i am thinking about using 2 ways:
merge all txt files into one large ( its size will be > RAM)
Find tools\software to clean folder with several .txt files.
(07-13-2023, 02:47 PM)ataman4uk Wrote: Hello
Could you please give me an advice, which text editor or maybe other software could I use to clean duplicates in the folder filled with  a lot of .txt files, which have about 200gb total size? I mean , not the duplicates in every file separately, but to clean duplicates all over those all files in the same folder.

just for searching fileduplicates

the onyl thing you can do progging yourself a little script or using linux basic programms like cat -> sort -> uniq
(07-13-2023, 02:56 PM)Snoopy Wrote:

just for searching fileduplicates

the onyl thing you can do progging yourself a little script or using linux basic programms like cat -> sort -> uniq

thank you
i am using windows as OS, and i ve used Git Bash, for example, for splitting those files , so each one is 4gb and it not takes 1 hhour to open 200gb text file. And now I am cofused how to clean them. 
It seems like i should merge them back into one large
as i mentioned you can process files one by one or merging some more with

cat 1.txt 2.txt ... | sort | uniq >> uniq.uniq
or with for loop
for file in *.txt; do cat $file | sort | uniq >> uniq.uniq; done

you can do this file by file with the shown for loop but anyway you will need another last run for the resulting uniq.uniq, as this is quick n dirty and the uniq.uniq can or will have still dups as different input files are not compared to each other, just the content of the file itself (but this way its just a oneliner for bash)

depending on input this uniq.uniq can still get very large, maybe you will need to split the work to 10-20 text files, make a uniq.uniq for this 10-20, run cat sort uniq on this result file, store it and move to the next batch of files, at the end merge the uniq files a last time and run cat sort uniq
(07-13-2023, 04:05 PM)Snoopy Wrote: as i mentioned you can process files one by one or merging some more with

or with for loop

you can do this file by file with the shown for loop but anyway you will need another last run for the resulting uniq.uniq, as this is quick n dirty and the uniq.uniq can or will have still dups as different input files are not compared to each other, just the content of the file itself (but this way its just a oneliner for bash)

depending on input this uniq.uniq can still get very large, maybe you will need to split the work to 10-20 text files, make a uniq.uniq for this 10-20, run cat sort uniq on this result file, store it and move to the next batch of files, at the end merge the uniq files a last time and run cat sort uniq

Thank you so much. Cat is working for me. I am checking for duplicates first half(s) of 2 different files, which are 16 GB total. 
My RAM is 64GB 
PC is working hard, as i could hear the fan sound, and Git Bash window is responding and everything seems  ok, 
uniq.uniq file is 0 kb, after 10 minutes of progress

My question is : is there any possibility to add "Loading" % Bar, to track the progress status?
2 other options for you would be to install Notepad++ and go CTRL + A

Edit > Line Operations > Remove Duplicates

OR

https://jpm22.github.io/txt/

go to the remove duplicate file option and select Big File

The second method may be better as it gives the option for Case Sensitive

Hope this helps!
(07-13-2023, 04:05 PM)Snoopy Wrote: as i mentioned you can process files one by one or merging some more with

or with for loop

Could you tell me , please, how could that happen
I ve used cat to sort unique 2 txts
1 92 million strings, another 42 million strings
And it is giving me 350 million strings file as an output

oh now is ee how did that happened.
It just saved output file 2 times

Have a look at https://github.com/Cynosureprime/rling