GPU recommendation for the IBM System x iDataPlex dx360 M4
Hello

Our university is going to build a HPC-cluster with some IBM System x iDataPlex dx360 M4. :-) Unfortunately instead of AMD GPU's they are probably going to order the Intel Xeon Phi 5110P when it becomes available. In the meantime we can make some tests with common GPU cards...

The dx360M4 does currently support the following GPU's:
- NVIDIA Tesla K20
- NVIDIA Tesla K20X
- NVIDIA VGX K1
- NVIDIA VGX K2
- NVIDIA Tesla K10
- NVIDIA Tesla M2090, 6 GB GDDR5
- NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q
- NVIDIA Quadro 5000, 2.5 GB GDDR5
see http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0878.html#gpu

Question:
What AMD/ATI GPU would you suggest for a IBM dx360M4- and hashcat-environment?
Please check an the attachment "IBM-dx360M4_15231A.jpg" with a md5 of 71e2e63900749e418b3562c789677c73
in order to understand the PCIe tray configuration possibility of that machine.

Thank you very much for any help/feedback!

John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I can't confirm with this specific chassis, but most of these GPU server chassis do not support high-power cards, and only support cards with a TDP lower than e.g. 225W. As such, they usually only have one 6pin or one 6+2pin PCI-e power connector per GPU. You can use an adapter, but then you'd be pulling way too much power through the line and run the risk of catching it on fire. Some also have trays that only accept passively-cooled GPUs, or GPUs that don't have a bracket on them.

Before installing an unsupported GPU, you should verify that this chassis support actively-cooled GPUs, and is able to supply the appropriate power to each GPU (high end AMD cards require 8pin + 6pin or 2x 8pin power.)
(06-11-2013, 08:23 AM)epixoip Wrote: I can't confirm with this specific chassis, but most of these GPU server chassis do not support high-power cards, and only support cards with a TDP lower than e.g. 225W. As such, they usually only have one 6pin or one 6+2pin PCI-e power connector per GPU. You can use an adapter, but then you'd be pulling way too much power through the line and run the risk of catching it on fire. Some also have trays that only accept passively-cooled GPUs, or GPUs that don't have a bracket on them.

Before installing an unsupported GPU, you should verify that this chassis support actively-cooled GPUs, and is able to supply the appropriate power to each GPU (high end AMD cards require 8pin + 6pin or 2x 8pin power.)

Thank you very much epixoip for the important informations :-)

John
(06-11-2013, 08:23 AM)epixoip Wrote: I can't confirm with this specific chassis, but most of these GPU server chassis do not support high-power cards, and only support cards with a TDP lower than e.g. 225W.

Interesting to know... Thank you very much for the feedback! Do you know of any 1u or 2u short-depth chassis that does support high-power cards?

Thank you very much for any feedback!

John

PS
I dont know if Infiniband and GPU in a 1u chassis is even possible....
i do not know of any 1U or 2U systems that will work with Radeon GPUs. we've experimented with a few different models out there, and they're all designed for older, low power Teslas.
(04-03-2014, 12:26 AM)epixoip Wrote: i do not know of any 1U or 2U systems that will work with Radeon GPUs. we've experimented with a few different models out there, and they're all designed for older, low power Teslas.

Very good to know! Is - from the point of view - of the electrical power
consumtion e.g. a 4way GPU Tyan chassis a big difference vs 4 2U systems
each with 1 GPU?

Thank you for any feddback!

John
Depends on the 2U systems. The Tyan FT77 will draw ~ 2800W from the wall under full load.