NTLM and Line Length
Hello,

I am a new user to hashcat-plus, but I want to get better. My question is about NTLM input. I have a large list of hashes in the following format:

sys:$NT$7f8fe03093ccxxxx67b109625f6bbf4b

I have tried a bunch of different formats but -m 1000 (NTLM) seems to be the only one that I can get to work, and the only way I can get it to work is to delete the username:$NT$. Other than that I get a line-length exception.

I saw another thread: (https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-2047.html) that explained the format, and it does not look like mine at all. I dont think I am using the right format, but I have tried everything windows related.

Does hashcat have a format that will support the username:$NT$?

jtr has a format 'nt' that works really well, but I want to put my GPUs to work.

Thanks,
Chinchilla
All formats are very well documented here: http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes
(with examples).

Did you try those?
(06-13-2013, 06:51 PM)philsmd Wrote: All formats are very well documented here: http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes
(with examples).

Did you try those?

Thanks for the speedy response.

In short yes, not all of them, but the ones that are related to windows credentials.

I should have been more clear with my problem. Without a username, the cracked hashes will just be a listing of passwords without anything to tie them to.

-m 1000 (NTLM) works, in so far as that it will not error out when I input my 32 character hash. But this gives me 2 problems:

1. Without a username, there will be no trace-ability.

2. The hashed password is relatively simple, 'Passphrase' and it is not cracking even though it is in my dictionary.

Thanks
Once you have recovered the pass you can use --username and --show to pair them back up with the username.

As for not finding the pass, verify that your dictionary does not have extra chars on the end (like a carriage return, or some funk from windows formats). To verify that the hash is legit, you can try -a 3 Passphrase and see if it will recover.

(06-13-2013, 07:06 PM)Chinchilla Wrote:
(06-13-2013, 06:51 PM)philsmd Wrote: All formats are very well documented here: http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes
(with examples).

Did you try those?

Thanks for the speedy response.

In short yes, not all of them, but the ones that are related to windows credentials.

I should have been more clear with my problem. Without a username, the cracked hashes will just be a listing of passwords without anything to tie them to.

-m 1000 (NTLM) works, in so far as that it will not error out when I input my 32 character hash. But this gives me 2 problems:

1. Without a username, there will be no trace-ability.

2. The hashed password is relatively simple, 'Passphrase' and it is not cracking even though it is in my dictionary.

Thanks
(06-13-2013, 07:06 PM)Chinchilla Wrote: 1. Without a username, there will be no trace-ability.

Thanks
1. When you crack it, you get HashTongueassword. You can use the hash to "link" it back. Otherwise, you can use the --username switch like radix said.

2. Make sure that the passphrase is less than 16 characters long including spaces if present.
(06-13-2013, 07:10 PM)radix Wrote: Once you have recovered the pass you can use --username and --show to pair them back up with the username.

Thanks,

I used the --username flag and did some GREP massaging and it worked on both my test 'Passphrase' and the credentials I dumped yesterday. (I am a pentester) Running like a dream right now.

I look forward to contributing to this site in the future.

Thanks again,
Chinchilla
(06-13-2013, 07:19 PM)mastercracker Wrote: 1. When you crack it, you get HashTongueassword. You can use the hash to "link" it back. Otherwise, you can use the --username switch like radix said.

2. Make sure that the passphrase is less than 16 characters long including spaces if present.

I will experiment with the 'linking' when it has cracked enough passwords. Could throw these into an excel spreadsheet and do a VLOOKUP if nothing else.

Thank you for your response, and thanks for the knowledge!
gief me your ntlms pl0x

(06-13-2013, 08:31 PM)Chinchilla Wrote:
(06-13-2013, 07:10 PM)radix Wrote: Once you have recovered the pass you can use --username and --show to pair them back up with the username.

Thanks,

I used the --username flag and did some GREP massaging and it worked on both my test 'Passphrase' and the credentials I dumped yesterday. (I am a pentester) Running like a dream right now.

I look forward to contributing to this site in the future.

Thanks again,
Chinchilla