OclHashcat plus has stopped working.
I Think this might be a known issue, but I'll report it just the same.

Everytime i try to run ocl hashcat plus to crack WPA hccap file windows comes up with an error "oclhashcatplus has stopped working".

Relevant details are as follows:

OS = Win7 X64
Using RDP.
Installed catalyst control centre 13.1 - ALL options ticked during install. (e.g. for transcoding install and hdmi sound install etc).

Command issued:

oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 0 -m 2500 Handshakes\myhccap.hccap Dictionaries\mydictionary.dic --gpu-temp-disable

I *think* thats all you need to know... but do let me know if there are other questions about my setup you have.

I couldn;t find any log files or anything to post....
The problem is RDP.
(08-05-2013, 05:22 PM)Rolf Wrote: The problem is RDP.

Thank you for the reply.

To test your post, i rebooted the machine and did exactly the same thing but physically sat at the PC.

I received the same crash and same error. "oclhascatplu has stopped working".

perhaps i should just install Ubuntu/Backtrack on the PC instead of windows. However my understanding was that the AMD drivers under linux were weak and would make has calculations slower than on a windows based pc.

Is this still the case? or are AMD drivers now good enough for linux environments?
Rainbow 
Not RDP?
Huh, well, there was something about RDP and display driver not running.

Anyways, the speed is the same on both OSes.
And AMD drivers suck on both platforms, thanks to the driver dev team they "inherited" from ATI.

Did you try the example.bat that came with oclhc?
Did it work?

Also, double checking that the names of the hccap and wordlist match the corresponding files would not hurt.

Last, try changing the commands to the canonical oclhc [flags] [hashfile] [masks]:
Code:
oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 0 -m 2500 --gpu-temp-disable Handshakes\myhccap.hccap Dictionaries\mydictionary.dic
pause

What's your gpu, btw?
(08-05-2013, 05:42 PM)mcai8rw2 Wrote: perhaps i should just install Ubuntu/Backtrack on the PC instead of windows. However my understanding was that the AMD drivers under linux were weak and would make has calculations slower than on a windows based pc.

Is this still the case? or are AMD drivers now good enough for linux environments?
Same speed. Maybe slightly better on Linux as Windows has Aero using a small amount of GPU resources.
(08-05-2013, 05:50 PM)Rolf Wrote: Not RDP?
Huh, well, there was something about RDP and display driver not running.

Anyways, the speed is the same on both OSes.
And AMD drivers suck on both platforms, thanks to the driver dev team they "inherited" from ATI.

Did you try the example.bat that came with oclhc?
Did it work?

Also, double checking that the names of the hccap and wordlist match the corresponding files would not hurt.

Last, try changing the commands to the canonical oclhc [flags] [hashfile] [masks]:
Code:
oclHashcat-plus64.exe -a 0 -m 2500 --gpu-temp-disable Handshakes\myhccap.hccap Dictionaries\mydictionary.dic
pause

What's your gpu, btw?

Thank you for your reply again.

I have tried the example0.cmd both sat at the PC, and on RDP. Each time i receive the error "oclhashcat has stopped working".

Re-writing my command following your syntax directions also results in a crash.

I am using 3* HD7970 card in the PC.

I shall stuff Backtrack onto the HD and see what results from that. I tend to use the PC headless anyway... so an SSH window is just as OK as an RDP window.

Thanks again.
This really sounds like a misconfigured driver. Maybe uninstalling w/ driver fusion + reinstalling the driver helps.

You could also try to run this (just for testing):
oclHashcat-plus64.exe --help

Furthermore, you could make some test e.g. w/ only 1 card etc (and yes, test w/ linux, although the OS shouldn't be the problem, and if we can identify - and reproduce - a windows-specific problem, we are happy to fix it)
(08-06-2013, 12:04 PM)philsmd Wrote: This really sounds like a misconfigured driver. Maybe uninstalling w/ driver fusion + reinstalling the driver helps.

You could also try to run this (just for testing):
oclHashcat-plus64.exe --help

Furthermore, you could make some test e.g. w/ only 1 card etc (and yes, test w/ linux, although the OS shouldn't be the problem, and if we can identify - and reproduce - a windows-specific problem, we are happy to fix it)

Thanks for joining in on the thread.

To confirm, doing "oclHashcat-plus64.exe --help" is successful.... so the program works... but its only when i actually try to use haschcat to compute something...thats when it crashes.

BT5R3 is now installed on the hard drvie now though... so i can no longer test the windows drivers. Sorry Sad
Wow... what a ride man. Its been crazy. i'm not pointing the finger at Hashcat here, but I just wanted to post what has been going on with me and hashcat.

So ... it all started as in this thread.

1. Hascat in Windows keeps crashing
|
V
2. Install Backtrack.
2a. Have a hell of a time getting ATI drivers working properly in Backtrack but eventually succeed.
2b. Backtrack then tells me "Hashcat is out of date"
|
V
3. Install The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali).
3a.Have a hell of a time getting ATI drivers working properly in The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali), don't ever succeed.
|
V
4. Reinstall Windows. Hashcat works.

Not forgetting that each stage of the above is interspersed with maybe 2.5 - 3 hours of "tinkering" to try and get things to work.

Right now... i'm exhausted, and i hate linux. I'm not a noob, but nor am i a pro either. And i should have just saved my time and reinstalled windows striaght away. Instead of spending many hours trying to inject patches into drivers etc.

So... there we go.
I doubt it was Windooze, it probably had something to do with ze drivers.
Glad everything's working in the end, enjoy the cat.