Noob Question
Hi guys,

I would like to know, if you can help me with some questions:
I want to buy a Tyan B7059F77AV6R-2T, and I will wait for 9970 release and I want to add 8 to this barebone.
Until here no problem, but, I would like to know the impact of memory and processor, on this other tasks:
1) Wordlist - load, generate, sort, merge, etc;
2) Rules - with a0, a1, including the big ones;
3) Hybrid attack - (a6 / a7);
4) Hashcat-utils, maskprocessor, etc.
5) Rainbow Tables - load, generate, index, etc (ok, I know this forum do not have this focus, but, you guys have a lot of hardware expertise, if you can help, ok, if not, ok too Smile ); Here I will use RAID 6 to Load them;
Thank you very much guys for your time and attention.

P.S: sorry for my bad english.
9970 = 7990?

Quote:I want to add 8 to this barebone. Until here no problem,
If they are 7990s, they have 2 GPUs each. I might be wrong but double-check that the bios will be O.K. with handling 16 GPUs (I remember reading something along these lines by epixoip but don't remember the details).

Memory and CPU will have virtually no impact on the cracking part. For sorting large wordlist, memory will help but you can always do the attack preparation like wordlist sorting, removing dupes or other on another machine and use them on your cracker.

Man, forget about rainbow tables. They are obsolete. The only place they could be useful is for LM hashes but not in your case. With your rig, you will go in the 1-7 all keyspace in a very short time.
(08-15-2013, 05:32 AM)mastercracker Wrote: 9970 = 7990?

Quote:I want to add 8 to this barebone. Until here no problem,
If they are 7990s, they have 2 GPUs each. I might be wrong but double-check that the bios will be O.K. with handling 16 GPUs (I remember reading something along these lines by epixoip but don't remember the details).

Memory and CPU will have virtually no impact on the cracking part. For sorting large wordlist, memory will help but you can always do the attack preparation like wordlist sorting, removing dupes or other on another machine and use them on your cracker.

Man, forget about rainbow tables. They are obsolete. The only place they could be useful is for LM hashes but not in your case. With your rig, you will go in the 1-7 all keyspace in a very short time.

mastercrack,

Thank you very much for your fast replay.
Let me try make myself more clear.
1) 9970 will be released soon, so, instead of buy 8x 7970 I will buy 8x 9970 (Single GPU);
2) I still waiting information about 8x 6990, but I do not have any news about it; I know you can have 8x S10000 (16 GPU);
3) Will be 8 GPU running -a 3 -i "x14" (?d) faster than RT? I really do not know, but, I guess you are right.
4) I prefer build one computer to do "everything" (attack preparation + the attack itself) in the same machine; Do you see any negative point here?
Thank you very much for your help and attention, and, again, sorry for my bad english.
The 9970 is a new chipset coming out from AMD. From what I understand it is basically a 7990 in one chip instead of two. I don't think they have set a release date yet just specs have been published.
(08-15-2013, 03:56 PM)powderspecial600 Wrote: The 9970 is a new chipset coming out from AMD. From what I understand it is basically a 7990 in one chip instead of two. I don't think they have set a release date yet just specs have been published.

Hi powderspecial600,

According to my (un)trustful source, this GPU (9970) will be release this year, so, i can wait for it.
Thank you.
Maybe.