following linux_server_howto guide. problem with 6th GPU
been following this howto. I'm not installing oclHashcat yet, only drivers. It works with 5 cards (openbox boots, clinfo shows all 5 cards, amdconfig reports temperatures) but won't with 6. Openbox won't boot and amdconfig hangs. lspci shows all 6 cards though (7970 - actually 280X). Should it work with 6?

Thanks
yes, it should work with up to 8. have you tested to see if the sixth GPU is even good?
Yes I did. I tried pull out different cards. Only total qty matters.
(01-13-2014, 08:46 PM)epixoip Wrote: yes, it should work with up to 8. have you tested to see if the sixth GPU is even good?
Okay if you say it should I will experiment a bit more. Powered risers, all that stuff.
Thanks
risers should be your #1 suspect.
thought I get back and post how it all turned out.
First of all, turned out it wasn't 6th GPU specifically, Xserver crashed randomly but the more GPU the more chances of a crash.
It's my mining rig which runs okay under Windows so I was a bit puzzled. After about 2 weeks I tried again and it worked as advertised. Either motherboard bios upgrade is the reason (MSI Z77A-G45 bios v 2.12) or some ubuntu packages where updated in the meantime. I have already 2 of the rigs converted to ubuntu and they are running okay for a week now.
Time to do some hashcating!