Masking on words in a Dictionary
Hi everyone,

I am new to HashCat but I know some properties of this program on password cracking such as mask-attacks, hybrid attacks, rule-based attacks. I am asking whether a new attack style which is a combination of these attacks is included or not in hashcat.

Assume you have a dictionary of 100.000 words. You all know that these words are not used as passwords plainly, in other words, there are numbers or symbols in the beginning, or in the end of the word. But also think of a case: if these numbers or symbols are included in the word.

I can give an example to make it clear: you get a word "password" from your dictionary and you want to do some masking on this word as follows:

1- Begin with 2 numbers
2- Append the first 5 characters of your word
3- Append a number and a symbol
4- Append the last 3 characters of your word
5- Append a symbol

So masking the words like this results as

25passw3+ord=

Actually one can prepare new dictionaries using this masking. However this number goes up to the number of masking you use.

I also believe that this process can be done on the fly: take a word from the dictionary, apply the maskings you want, and try. On the other side, preparing dictionaries for each masking cost very much.

If there exists such attack technique in hashcat, can you inform me? Or can an application be written to make this attack for hashcat?

Thanks for your helps !
Did you check hybrid attacks (http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=hybrid_attack) and rule-based attacks (http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=rule_based_attack)?
^5^2i83i9+$=

use maskprocessor to generate a complete rule file for all the different possible combinations.
Thanks
sorry it should actually be: ^5^2i73i8+$=

then you can use maskprocessor to generate a rule file for this:
Code:
./mp64.bin '^?d^?di73i8+$?s'

pretty small rule list so definitely doable:
Code:
epixoip@mysterion:~/maskprocessor-0.69$ ./mp64.bin '^?d^?di73i8+$?s' | wc -l