Need Help ATI drivers ubuntu 13.10 - Quad 7990 setup
@epixoip
THANK YOU!. I've been pulling my hair out (and I'm bald!) with this issue. Thank you for responding and shedding light on my issue.

I am going to try v1.30 and see how that goes. Smile

(11-14-2014, 10:33 PM)epixoip Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 03:16 PM)trashcan Wrote: the job starts off by using all four GPUs but 5 to 10 minutes into the job, 3 of my GPUs flat-line (i.e. 0% usage) and only one is working, when I hit 'q' to quit, the terminal freezes.

this is a bug in 1.31. hopefully atom fixes it soon because it is affecting a lot of people.
the bug seems to be present in several previous versions, just seems to trigger more frequently in 1.31
@epixoip

Thank you for the prompt feedback!! Smile

I understand about bugs, I'm a SW dev too. Good luck with fixing it. If there's anything I can help with, I'd be super happy to chip-in in whatever is needed.

In the meantime, I tried v1.30 and as you anticipated, it too, dropped from 4 GPUs to 1 GPU, and froze when I hit the 'q'.

Then I ventured into having my BIOS load my RAM's profile. Rebooted.

I am happy to report that I am successfully 30 minutes into a job and all four are holding Smile... The real test is to see if they hold overnight.... I will keep you informed in case you are interested.
Still going strong after 14 hours of all four GPUs working at 100%. Having my BIOS read my RAM's profile seems to have helped. Smile FYI to everybody Smile !!
Can you elaborate on the BIOS reading RAM profile? Not too familiar with the concept. thx
(11-18-2014, 06:37 PM)forumhero Wrote: Can you elaborate on the BIOS reading RAM profile? Not too familiar with the concept. thx

@forumhero:
I didn't know about it until last week either. Apparently for 'exotic' machines such as the ones used for gaming or cracking passwords, it is imperative that the motherboard "be in-sync" to a higher precision to the installed RAM. This high precision synch-up is not so noticeable in normal computers (those that don't have fast GPUs).

Having said that, I still think the bug that epixoip mentioned shows its head, but MUCH LESS often. With the timing profile changes, I can easily crack easily for at least 5 to 6 hours sometimes 14 hrs strait as opposed to 5 to 10 minutes as before the motherboard timing profile change.

I don't have an exact screenshot to show you but I have the approximate area of where in the BIOS of my motherboard (msi z87 mpower) is the setting I am talking about (photo below). I would suggest, in your case, turn off your PC, DE-static yourself, pop the RAM out and to get the make/model and speed. Pop it back in, boot into BIOS, and try to navigate to a place where you see similar settings in your BIOS as you see in the photo below and see if you recognize your RAM's make/model being displayed anywhere. If/Once you do, then make sure to "ENABLE" (different for each motherboard) the profile to be read in (as it was in my case). For those unlucky people that no profile exists burned into the motherboard, then you will have to manually (I can't help you here) enter the information. The profile, saves you from doing that.

Did that make a little sense? I wish I could be more helpful, It's just that I'm a software person and I'm learning hardware as I go along.
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
Good luck!
thank you, that was very helpful. I'll have to dive into my ram and bios and see if it's something i can modify.