Issue with potfiles in v1.21
Hey. I updated to v1.21 yesterday, there's a fantastic performance increase for my GPU (780 Ti) and I love it, but I'm having a little issue.

With pot file's enabled, any time I'd run hashes it'd check my pot file first automatically (which it never in older versions), which I'm okay with, but it wouldn't write any found hashes from the potfile to the output file specified using the --outfile flag.

If I need to keep up with left lists, I normally just put all of my finds in a file called rerun.txt and use that as a dictionary. The issue is that now that hashcat is checking for hashes from the pot file first automatically, it's not writing any of the finds to the outfile. Running with --potfile-disable fixes this, but the obvious downside is that there is no pot file whatsoever.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
This is intended behaviour. The outfile is really just another potfile, so if it's found in your potfile, it won't rewrite the result in the potfile. (even if it is a different pot)
:]

Just FYI, you should be able to use potfile-disable and --outfile together to get the result you want.
Alternately, you could remove your potfile before running your job as well.
(05-27-2014, 10:20 PM)unix-ninja Wrote: This is intended behaviour. The outfile is really just another potfile, so if it's found in your potfile, it won't rewrite the result in the potfile. (even if it is a different pot)
:]

Just FYI, you should be able to use potfile-disable and --outfile together to get the result you want.
Alternately, you could remove your potfile before running your job as well.

Thanks for the reply!

The only problem with that is - if my pot file is millions upon millions of lines long, it will be hard to find the specific passwords that were found in the potfile. I think it would be useful to allow --outfile with pot files enabled.

For now, I'm just using --outfile with --potfile-disable.

Cheers!
wait, the regular usage is to use --show, whats wrong with it?
(05-30-2014, 03:09 PM)atom Wrote: wait, the regular usage is to use --show, whats wrong with it?

If I need to use --outfile and the passwords are in my pot file already, hashcat will find them automatically, but nothing will be written to my out file. If I'm not paying attention, chances are I won't realise that the passwords were found in my pot file. If I want to keep a master pot file for various reasons and have an outfile for certain tasks/hashlists, I'm pretty sure I can't.