Cards not cracking at the same speed
I have three R9 290 in a single server and I have noticed lately that there are huge differences in the speed at which the cards are cracking passwords (see attachments).

I am running oclHashcat in Windows and I was wondering if perhaps my AMD Overdrive settings were not optimal (all cards have the same settings)?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I don't know about running in Windows (I use Linux for cracking), but I can say you're running WAY hot, and that could have something to do with it.
(08-11-2014, 03:57 PM)ccole Wrote: I don't know about running in Windows (I use Linux for cracking), but I can say you're running WAY hot, and that could have something to do with it.

So perhaps lower the target temperature on the cards then?
What would be a good target temperature for these cards you think?

Thanks for the help!
I don't know if that'll fix your hashing speed problem or not, but it's definitely a problem that needs to get fixed.
What's wrong with the temp? It's still below 90°C.
90 is emergency shutdown level. 86 is pretty close. Regular cracking temperature, I like my cards to stay in the 70's at the highest. I could be wrong, but I doubt if those cards will last long if they're regularly sitting at 86 degrees. I'm willing to be corrected if that's not right though.
wrong, R9 290 has a default target temp of 95C, and no amd gpu has a builtin "emergency shutdown" of 90C.

mothix, your temps are just fine. the problem is your target temp is set to 87, which means powertune will start throttling the clocks back when the gpu hits 87. this is why you are experiencing erratic speeds. you need to push the target temp back up to 95, and set the gpu clock back to 0%.
(08-13-2014, 04:13 AM)epixoip Wrote: wrong, R9 290 has a default target temp of 95C, and no amd gpu has a builtin "emergency shutdown" of 90C.

mothix, your temps are just fine. the problem is your target temp is set to 87, which means powertune will start throttling the clocks back when the gpu hits 87. this is why you are experiencing erratic speeds. you need to push the target temp back up to 95, and set the gpu clock back to 0%.

Thanks! This seems to have resolved the problem!
By emergency shutdown, I meant hashcat's default for the AMD cards. I was not aware that different vendors would have different heat tolerances.