Invalid pointer error...
Hey everyone,

I am using oclHashcat 1.30 for debian on a AMD R9 290X GPU with latest beta drivers. When I use the --benchmark, I get this error:

Code:
oclHashcat v1.30 starting in benchmark-mode...

WARN: ADL_Main_Control_Create(): -21

Device #1: Hawaii, 3072MB, 1000Mhz, 44MCU

Hashtype: MD4
Workload: 1024 loops, 256 accel

Speed.GPU.#1.: 21968.4 MH/s

*** Error in `./oclHashcat64.bin': munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x00007ff8d0853c58 ***
Aborted

However, it is fine when I use a NVIDIA GPU (780Ti)
What's the problem? Is there a fix to it?
Problem is:

Quote:WARN: ADL_Main_Control_Create(): -21

-21 is ADL_ERR_NO_XDISPLAY. So it sounds like you're trying to run oclHashcat without x11.
I am using a debian server, it has x11 but I connect using SSH. How may I fix it?
this is just a warning and will prevent you from getting the temp and/or usage of the card. The error is something different.
Any idea on the error? I can't get to fix it!
No! The warning absolutely appears relevant to the crash.

The warning is telling you that ADL_Main_Control_Create() failed. So calling ADL_Main_Control_Destroy() or otherwise attempting to free() the ADL pointer will result in an invalid pointer dereference.

To resolve the problem, make sure you're exporting the DISPLAY or COMPUTE environment variables and ensure you have Xauthority.
Shouldn't you be able to run hashcat without X since several versions of the amd driver?
(09-16-2014, 06:07 PM)undeath Wrote: Shouldn't you be able to run hashcat without X since several versions of the amd driver?

Yes but not ADL. So you need to pass --gpu-temp-disable and all should be fine.

But Hashcat should handle that situation without crashing. If pointer is NULL, don't try to use it or free it...
(09-17-2014, 01:21 AM)magnum Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 06:07 PM)undeath Wrote: Shouldn't you be able to run hashcat without X since several versions of the amd driver?

Yes but not ADL. So you need to pass --gpu-temp-disable and all should be fine.

But Hashcat should handle that situation without crashing. If pointer is NULL, don't try to use it or free it...
Thanks so much! It did the trick! Big Grin