rockyou - hidden code !?
I've a fairly new install of The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) (2 weeks +/-) and have been playing with rockyou.
This is the file that came pre-installed with The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali).

Today I stumbled across something that really threw me.

Within the uncompressed txt, I've found a load of HTML and other 'garbage'

example (swf): "<embed src="http://apps.rockyou.com/rockyou.swf?instanceid=13559"
example (ramblings): "'en nivel académico y trayectoria laboral ya que creemos que son  importantes "

Can anyone explain what's going on ??
I thought this was supposed to just be a list of words !?
Just remnants of the dump that didn't get cleaned out. No big deal.
I heard if you tac rockyou.txt it plays a satanic message
ah well I have to laugh at 'no biggie' !
Makes me feel a right prude now, getting all freaked at finding such things.
Maybe I've got more of a cultural hurdle to cross than technical by coming over to the Dark Linux world Smile
I know I'll still be cleaning it up - but maybe worry less about the 'how' or 'why' now.

Ta for the responses Smile
ok damnit secrets out. If you copy all those lines sort them in ascending order, take out the 5th character from each line and put it into a file.  Play it backwards in VLC at 0.25x speed there will be a secret message.
If you take the humongous InfoSecSouthwest2012 dataset, look for hashes which fully pass isprint() when decoded (that'd be "highly unlikely" for a real hash) and print those as strings, you'll see a lot more "interesting" things. More importantly, you can sort them out as crap not needing to contribute to your power bill. To be honest I ditched the whole dataset after seeing all that nonsense.