How would I parse through this to get the correct info?
Hey all,

Sorry for the super noob question.  I am in a university Info Security class, and the professor asked me to see if I could crack all these generated passwords (~400) using my 970GTX.  No one in the class has had a card powerful enough yet.

So with that said, I am very new to using anything.  In our in-class lab, we used John the Ripper to go through about 30 of them brute-force.  He asked me to try and use hascat and see if I could pull all of them out.

Here is how the hash is given to us:

user0:e0XXjUXXr6XFU:0:0:user #0:/var/home/user0:/bin/eggshell

How would I tell my cudaHashcat 1.37 to parse through this with user0 being username and then obviously try and crack the hash?  I've tried looking up guides and video's, but most of them are outdated and are not using a version near this one, or do not go into enough detail to explain what is actually happening.

Any guidance or references would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
In theory this should work (and I just confirmed) it, since oclHashcat supports native loading of /etc/shadow files and others, see: https://hashcat.net/trac/ticket/393

So you just run it as usual (but with correct hash type: -m 1500 for instance):
Code:
./cudaHashcat64.bin -w 3 -a 0 -m 1500 -r rules/best64.rule hash_file.txt rockyou.txt

Alternatively you could also convert the file into a format with lines like this:
user0:e0XXjUXXr6XFU
etc

and use the --username switch to tell cudaHashcat to ignore the username.
I've noticed this a few times, but some people are using
Code:
./cudaHashcat64.bin

As opposed to just using:
Code:
cudaHashcat64.exe

Is there a difference?  When I try to run the ./bin one, it tells me one that ./ isn't a command, and then that it wants to open the bin file instead of running it.
./cudaHashcat64.bin is for Linux, cudaHashcat64.exe is for Windows.

... and you're in infosec!?