8 Character Unix DES Question
So I have enjoyed my time learning tons in the past week about this stuff, and I really appreciate all the help from the people I have gotten during that time.

It looks like the end(heh) may be in sight for the passwords I've been cracking.  Out of 442 DES Unix passwords, I'm down to 106, and I believe they're all 8 character.

I also learned that cracking the hashed passwords that are that large takes an extraordinary amount of time with masks, and didn't even happen with my 13gb wordlist.  

So with that, what could I be missing that assists with 8 character words?
Using --loopback might be helpful. 

Have you been through some common masks (Korelogic pathwell, and the ones that come with hashcat) and rulesets (d3ad0n3, etc.) ?  

Have you looked at PRINCE - https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3914.html ?
~
(11-10-2015, 07:07 AM)royce Wrote: Using --loopback might be helpful. 

Have you been through some common masks (Korelogic pathwell, and the ones that come with hashcat) and rulesets (d3ad0n3, etc.) ?  

Have you looked at PRINCE - https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-3914.html ?

Ahh this is something I DEFINITELY needed, so thank you!  I don't know the rulesets (all of them, anyhow - I did leetspeak for one), and I don't know what the pathwell stuff is.  I just started getting in to this for a week thanks to my information security and assurance course.

I'll read through this article, and thank you again!
And with the prince portion, is it now possible with ocl, or should I just re-download the regular hashcat and run it that way?
You can use princeprocessor with oclHashcat by piping it. If you want to crack a fast hash, add the prince specialized rules from the rules/ folder in the princeprocessor package.
(11-10-2015, 09:25 AM)atom Wrote: You can use princeprocessor with oclHashcat by piping it. If you want to crack a fast hash, add the prince specialized rules from the rules/ folder in the princeprocessor package.

I must not be piping it correctly.  When I do, it instantly runs hashcat and then ends. It doesn't do any computing
Post your command line.