Fan issues
Hi all,
I ve setup my lab as per this guide https://www.unix-ninja.com/p/Building_a_..._-_Part_II

But my fans cannot be manually set to 100 percent, and therefor it throttles itself, then stop due to overheating.
I ve tried many different options to manually set the fans.
I know it would be easier to setup windows, but I just rented a cloud service with 2 x 1080s for a month, and windows costs more
1) to force 100% fanspeed, try this before running hashcat:
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1" -a "[fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100"
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:1]/GPUFanControlState=1" -a "[fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100"

2) for restoring "auto" fanspeed mode:
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=0"
nvidia-settings -a "[gpu:1]/GPUFanControlState=0"

If it doesn't work you might need to adjust the coolbits flags in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or use this command to create a new one:

nvidia-xconfig -s -a --allow-empty-initial-configuration \
--cool-bits=12 --registry-dwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" \
--no-sli --connected-monitor="DFP-0" -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sed -i '/Driver/a Option "Interactive" "False"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Overview coolbits: (please google a bit to find out more - you really want to be knowing what you are doing here, especially i wouldn't touch 8 and 16 on a rented system)

4 … (thermal monitor page will allow configuration of GPU fan speed) <--- this is what you actually need
+
8 … (allows setting per-clock domain and per-performance level offsets to apply to clock values) ***CAUTION***
+
16 … (the nvidia-settings command line interface allows setting GPU overvoltage) ***CAUTION***
=
28 … (potentially fried gpu)…

p.s. please kindly send me a private message, i'd be interested where you can rent a system with 2x1080 ...
(08-22-2016, 05:45 PM)yashar26 Wrote: Hi all,
I ve setup my lab as per this guide https://www.unix-ninja.com/p/Building_a_..._-_Part_II

But my fans cannot be manually set to 100 percent, and therefor it throttles itself, then stop due to overheating.
I ve tried many different options to manually set the fans.
I know it would be easier to setup windows, but I just rented a cloud service with 2 x 1080s for a month, and windows costs more

from where did u rent this? and how much u paying for it?
Hi all, Rented from balticservers, for alot of money lol,
but i need it for my engagement
ps. Non of the solutions provided worked for me Sad
Here some more commands to try your luck with:

a) Did you set coolbits? Have you rebooted after setting coolbits?
b) Do you have "export DISPLAY=:0" set in your shell?
c) Have you tried "nvidia-settings -a GPUPowerMizerMode=1 -a GPUFanControlState=1 -a GPUTargetFanSpeed=100" ?

@baltic servers & gtx 1080: so it is $105 or 110 eur, per month, per gpu? oh boy ... (actually i wasn't able to add a second GPU on the pro GPU hosting package, how did you manage to add two cards?)
(08-23-2016, 02:57 PM)jodler303 Wrote: Here some more commands to try your luck with:

c) Have you tried "nvidia-settings -a GPUPowerMizerMode=1 -a GPUFanControlState=1 -a GPUTargetFanSpeed=100" ?

@baltic servers & gtx 1080: so it is $105 or 110 eur, per month, per gpu? oh boy ...  (actually i wasn't able to add a second GPU on the pro GPU hosting package, how did you manage to add two cards?)

a) yes i set coolbits according to your commands. No I haven't rebooted
b) no idea of where to check for that
c) yes

you have to call them to set it up for you
(08-23-2016, 02:57 PM)jodler303 Wrote: Here some more commands to try your luck with:

@baltic servers & gtx 1080: so it is $105 or 110 eur, per month, per gpu? oh boy ...  (actually i wasn't able to add a second GPU on the pro GPU hosting package, how did you manage to add two cards?)

its 105$ if u take the 12 month..

and thats what they told me

Currently we can add only 1 GPU to a server, as our 2x GPU servers are out of stock
Cheapest server with 1x 1080 is 247eur/month. If you need 2 of them in 1 server, price is 385eur/month
But as I mentioned, currently we are out of stock
Later on we will have as much as you need
We are just waiting for these servers to arrive from our suppliers, as dual CPU servers were rented very quickly
While i think its really cool they are offering such a box, the price tag does indeed hurt. A lot.
it does, with 200 bucks u can get an RX 480 that mean with 2 1080 in a server which is 385euro = 435$ u can get 2 RX480 and thats urs...