50% CPU usage
Question 
Hello everyone.

I've got a 5970 and bruting the SL3 hashes.

The OS is Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 (tried both). Catalyst versions I tried are in range from 11.4 to 11.9. Tried both 2.4 (gives false positive in 2 sec) and 2.5-RC2 APPSDK.

The problem is when I hit 's' I see 1600 M/s speed and 49% or 50% utilization at both GPUs. When I add "-d 1" or "-d 2" to command line, one GPU load is near 97%.

I've spent a day googling, trying different Catalyst/SDK versions etc. Anyone experiencing the same problem?

Thanks.
sounds absolutly like wrong combination of SDK and Catalyst. you need SDK 2.4 and Cat 11.4 on linux, otherwise it wont work. you get false positive in case you use SDK 2.5 and Cat 11.4, which is not supported.
(10-10-2011, 12:08 AM)atom Wrote: sounds absolutly like wrong combination of SDK and Catalyst. you need SDK 2.4 and Cat 11.4 on linux, otherwise it wont work. you get false positive in case you use SDK 2.4 and Cat 11.4, which is not supported.
Umm... Looks like mistype. You say I need SDK 2.4 and Cat 11.4, but I'll get false positives with it Smile.

Tried 11.4 + 2.4. Got false positives. Anyway, I always get false positives with 2.4, no matter what Catalyst I use.

P.S.: I thought you're Russian and there should be a Russian subforum somewhere?
yep, was a typo. thanks for notice. i fixed it. no i am not russian and i am not planing to add any language specific subsections on this forum, sorry.
(10-10-2011, 12:17 AM)atom Wrote: yep, was a typo. thanks for notice. i fixed it. no i am not russian and i am not planing to add any language specific subsections on this forum, sorry.
Looks like I've confused you with someone, sorry.

Strange. I'm absolutely sure I was using 2.4 SDK when I got false positives. That's the only reason why I switched to 2.5 (I've read a lot about 2.5 bugs at forum, but hadn't any other way since 2.4 doesn't work for me in any configuration). My problem is not common; even more, my results are absolutely unexpected.

I'm starting to think that the problem may be Ubuntu-related. All that bloatware, pre-compiled ATI kernel modules etc, you know. Gonna try Arch Linux tomorrow.
11.5 cataclyst + 2.5 SDK works ok with HD5970 on ubuntu 11.04 64bit.
catalyst 11.8 + 2.5 AMD SDK work like a charm in Ubuntu Natty x32 or Win7 x64
absolutly not. they produce 100% CPU load and bad speeds.
take a look here http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=oclh..._forceware it explains which catalyst versions create this problems and which to use.