Auto login performance benefits
Is there any particular reason that the Auto Login section was removed from the Linux Server how to?

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

I am still running Ubuntu 14.04 and recently upgraded the driver from 14.09 to 15.12

I had my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file set up like this (per the former instructions).

Code:
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=openbox
autologin-user=YOUR_USERNAME
autologin-user-timeout=0

As an experiment, I took the above lines out of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to make my display available again on my monitor.  Taking these lines out resulted in a noticeable performance drop in passwords per second when testing with WPA2 (probably due to having to drive a monitor).

I am running a 295X2 on Ubuntu 14.04 and was getting around 330,000 passwords per second with the 14.9 Catalyst Driver when connected to my machine over ssh.  I decided to upgrade the driver to 15.12 and had auto login disabled when I ran my next performance benchmark.  It was topping out at around 275,000 keys/passwords per second, a noticeable drop.

Next, I re-enabled auto login and retested the benchmark with WPA2 over ssh.  Now, I get around 383,000 passwords per second.

It seems that running a monitor while benchmarking/cracking has quite a performance impact.  Is this universally true for both Nvidia and AMD?

Should setting up auto login and running oclHashcat be considered best practice given the noticeable performance benefits?

Will the wiki be updated at some point so that auto login instructions will be provided for the newer versions of Ubuntu and other Linux distributions?
There's no direct relation to performance between a x11 session and a ssh session. If you experienced that, the true reasons for the drop are propably others. Just to name one of N examples, the driver increases the maximum allowed power consumption for the GPUS after a login. In such a case, the fix is not to auto-login but to stick to non-logged in and using --powertune-enable