device local mem size is too small, use anyway?
I have a GeForce 9800 Gt (old, but gets the job done for the games i play) and hashcat gives me the "device local mem size is too small" warning when i try to run an attack. If its just a warning, can i ignore that limitation and use hashcat on this device anyway? The --force option doesnt seem to do anything.

The only other post i could find with this issue was someone wanting to use their CPU instead, which i dont want to do out of heating concerns.

Running on 64bit windows 7 if that makes a difference.

Also, i registered just to ask this question and would like to say i love the 16 character password minimum. Of all the places to have such a large minimum, this is it.
Some of the algorithms wont work, they will fail to compile, that way you know if it's safe to use that session or not.
Hello,

Today morning I installed the recent version of hashcat (3.00-3)

Running benchmark, I got this message:
root@The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali):~# hashcat --benchmark
hashcat (v3.00) starting in benchmark-mode...

OpenCL Platform #1: Mesa
========================
- Device #1: WARNING: Device local mem size is too small
- Device #1: NV86, skipped

OS: The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali) 2016 Rolling, fresh install from repository(*.deb).
Video controller: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86M [GeForce 8400M GS] (rev a1)

NVidia driver, CUDA not installed yet, only nouveau, mesa driver.

But previous version (2.00-0kali3, nouveau,mesa driver), there was no error message.
root@The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali):~# hashcat --benchmark
Initializing hashcat v2.00 with 2 threads and 32mb segment-size...

Device...........: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Instruction set..: x86_32
Number of threads: 2

Hash type: MD4
Speed/sec: 9.28M words

So shall I buy a new video card or could I use somehow (use CPU, not GPU), ignore the error message?
Or installing from source package maybe will help me?

Thanks,
Just because 2.01 didn't error it doesn't mean that there was no error. It simply didn't support mesa driver and it didn't do such deep checks.

The problem with your CPU is that the latest Intel OpenCL runtime is not compatible with it. See this thread for a solution: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-5627.html
Thanks you for the advise.
I installed from Debain Jessie the OpenCL runtime (apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1 opencl-headers clinfo).
With the new hashcat version I got this message (without nvida-legacy-340xx-driver. Nvidia driver is it must to install to use hashcat with CPU?):

root@The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali):~# hashcat -b

OpenCL Platform #1: Mesa
========================
- Device #1: WARNING: Device local mem size is too small
- Device #1: NV86, skipped

OpenCL Platform #2: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
================================================
- Device #2: WARNING: Not a native Intel OpenCL runtime, expect massive speed loss
            You can use --force to override this but do not post error reports if you do so
- Device #2: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5450  @ 1.66GHz, skipped

ERROR: No devices found/left

and then:
root@The-Distribution-Which-Does-Not-Handle-OpenCL-Well (Kali):~# hashcat -b --opencl-platforms=2 --force

OpenCL Platform #1: Mesa, skipped

OpenCL Platform #2: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
================================================
- Device #1: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T5450  @ 1.66GHz, 1003/1003 MB allocatable, 2MCU

Hashtype: MD4
Speed.Dev.#1.: 52427.2 kH/s (95.51ms)
Hashtype: MD5
Speed.Dev.#1.: 34775.0 kH/s (95.06ms)
Hashtype: Half MD5
Speed.Dev.#1.: 22713.3 kH/s (95.09ms)

So it is too slow.
I will try to install the OpenCL runtime library from Debian Wheezy, too. Maybe I can use somehow the new hashcat....
The problem with your CPU is that the latest Intel OpenCL runtime is not compatible with it. See this thread for a solution: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-5627.html
I installed hashcat v3.00 according to your post. It's working on CPU Smile (on GPU unfortunatelly not).
Thanks.