Troubleshooting overheating issues with my cracking rig
Hi everyone,

I'm continuing the discussion started in this thread: https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-5524-po...l#pid29785
In it, I described having overheating issues with my 4x Radeon R9 290X from XFX setup. I was advised to use reference nVidia cards instead.

So here I am, back with a pair of GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition from PNY, facing the exact same overheating issues: when the computer case is closed, Hashcat shuts down after 10 minutes of cracking. Here is an updated picture of the rig:

[Image: 892876IMG20160915175738.jpg]

Any idea what I could do to fix this? It's very frustrating to buy very expensive GPUs and be unable to use them Sad
Remove the backplate from the bottom card, and force the fans to 100%
Can I force the fan speed with SpeedFan?
I'll remove the backplate and post an update!
I should clarify that you only need to remove the back half of the backplate, the part that's easily removable. That's why it's removable, designed this way intentionally and intended to be removed when stacking cards.

You can force fan speed with nvidia-settings.
Is this the back panel you meant? Somehow this feels wrong and I feel dumb. I'm not sure which half of it should have been left on the card.
[Image: 760449IMG201609161405041.jpg]
(09-16-2016, 02:11 PM)JusticeRage Wrote: Is this the back panel you meant? Somehow this feels wrong and I feel dumb. I'm not sure which half of it should have been left on the card.
[Image: 760449IMG201609161405041.jpg]

The one to the right. So that it will have more space for the 1st card fan to get more air in.

Do this only for the 2nd ard. You can leave the backplate on your 1st card.

Check out the manual on page 10 http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gt..._Guide.pdf

Best regards,
Azren
Thanks a lot for all your help on this topic. The overheating issues seem to be solved!
I'll leave a picture of the card (let's say all the photos I posted are CC BY-SA) with the back-panel removed in case it's useful for someone else:

[Image: 178140IMG20160916154121.jpg]

Obviously, raising fan speed to 100% in nvidia-settings also helped a lot.
(09-16-2016, 04:21 PM)JusticeRage Wrote: Thanks a lot for all your help on this topic. The overheating issues seem to be solved!
I'll leave a picture of the card (let's say all the photos I posted are CC BY-SA) with the back-panel removed in case it's useful for someone else:

[Image: 178140IMG20160916154121.jpg]

Obviously, raising fan speed to 100% in nvidia-settings also helped a lot.

Hi,

Glad to hear that you have it running.

I see that you don't have a fan at the top of the case. Perhaps a fan at the top will help pull some hot air out of the case.

Also, perhaps move the GPUs further apart so as to let them breathe a bit better. It looks like you have plenty of room to do so.

Do you have a decent fan at the front of the case?  You can remove any unused caddies in the drive bays that may obstruct the air flow to the GPUs from the front fans.

Would be interested to see if it further lowers your temps.
Needs dusting Big Grin