hashcat 3.10 Ubuntu 12.04 different GPUs HD5830, HD5970 - what driver works for both?
Hi,
I am fairly new to this.
I currently have a GPU rig running nicely with:

ubuntu server 12.04 LTS with Gnome
hashcat version 3.10
(4) ATi Sapphire Radeon HD5830

I was never able to get any of a multitude of radeon drivers to succesfully install but whatever comes with Ubuntu 12.04 seems to work for the
HD5830 cards.

I also have a
ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (DW5CW)

I have tried aticonfig --initial=all -f   (might not be quite right - not infront of machine at moment)
the command works,

but the 5970 is still not recognized even after a reboot.
Card is powered up but I can not interface with it at all.

I am assuming this is because it is newer it will need a special driver.
Note: It is not recognized even if I disconnect the other HD5830 cards.

Does anyone know what driver I should use and will it work with the HD5830 cards I already have?

I went to the ati site and used the driver selector, I forget which driver i attempted to install but it was the recommended driver.
It did not install correctly.
The log file says it is missing a file, it recommends and apt-get command, it doesn't work.

I dont have access to the  error message at the moment, I will post it later.

In Summary - These Questions:
1) Can i use two types of cards at same time e.g. (4) HD5830 and (1) HD5979?
2) What is the best driver to use?
OK here are some specifics on what I have tried:
using gdebi to install deb packages:

Tried fglrx-dev_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb (seemed to install but card still not recognized)

Then tried: sudo sh amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run (note copied folder in to home/hal does not run from external HDD)

Keep getting this error:

Please install the required pre-requisites before proceeding with AMD Catalyst installation.
Please check file usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details.

so per this file (fglrx-install.log):

fglrx installation requires that the system has kernel headers.
/lib/modules/4.2.0-42-generic/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
(ok so what do I do about it..this is still a problem)

Log file says: Install kernel headers using the command ---> sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.2.0-42-generic.
Package dh-modaliases is missing from the system.
(Install it using the command---> sudo apt-get install dh-modaliases.)
Package execstack is missing from the system.
(Install it using the command ---> sudo apt-get install execstack.)

----- preliminary requirements to install driver-------------
sudo apt-get build-dep lib32gcc1
sudo apt-get –f install (does not work)
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates (This was from PDF instuctions for driver install was not present.. driver still does not work without it)

No idea what to do except just keep trying drivers?
AMD dropped support for VLIW cards, only GCN is supported now, so you will not be able to use any newer drivers. I believe Catalyst 15.9 is the last version you can use (though it might be even earlier than that.)

4x 5830 + 1x 5970 shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like your 5970 might be defective, which shouldn't be terribly surprising considering it's a 7 year old card.
(10-23-2016, 05:34 AM)epixoip Wrote: AMD dropped support for VLIW cards, only GCN is supported now, so you will not be able to use any newer drivers. I believe Catalyst 15.9 is the last version you can use (though it might be even earlier than that.)

4x 5830 + 1x 5970 shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like your 5970 might be defective, which shouldn't be terribly surprising considering it's a 7 year old card.

Hi, thank you for the info.
I hope the card is still good, the fan spins up and it generates a small amount of heat and draws what looks like the power of an idle card.
I have not been able to get these working but they are not installing without errors so it is hard to
say.
amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run
fglrx-dev_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01
amd-driver-installer-15.302-x86.x86_64.run

I will try the catalyst 15.9 driver.

Do i have to remove any previous drivers?
any advice on prerequisites to install this driver?

Thanks.
(10-23-2016, 05:50 PM)ICONOCLAST Wrote:
(10-23-2016, 05:34 AM)epixoip Wrote: AMD dropped support for VLIW cards, only GCN is supported now, so you will not be able to use any newer drivers. I believe Catalyst 15.9 is the last version you can use (though it might be even earlier than that.)

Hi, thank you for the info.
I hope the card is still good, the fan spins up and it generates a small amount of heat and draws what looks like the power of an idle card.
I have not been able to get these working but they are not installing without errors so it is hard to
say.
amd-driver-installer-14.20-x86.x86_64.run
fglrx-dev_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01
amd-driver-installer-15.302-x86.x86_64.run

I will try the catalyst 15.9 driver.

Do i have to remove any previous drivers?
any advice on prerequisites to install this driver?

Thanks.

Hi again:
I am running this:

Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty

I have downloaded all the 15.9 drivers because it is not clear to me which one I am supposed to install 8 choices with descriptions below

Any recommendations?
Again the two models of cards I am trying to run at same time are
Radeon HD5830 and
Radeon HD5970

From this website:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...4&rev=15.9

1) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 Video Driver for Graphics Accelerators
fglrx-dev_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

2) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 Minimal Video Driver for Graphics Accelerators (Non-X Support)

3) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 Video Driver for Graphics Accelerators Devel Files (OGL, OCL)

4) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 Catalyst Control Center
fglrx-amdcccle_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_14.01.deb

5) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 12.04.4x86_64 Video Driver for Graphics Accelerators
fglrx_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_12.04.4.deb

6) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 12.04.4 x86_64 Minimal Video Driver for Graphics Accelerators (Non-X Support)
fglrx-core_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_12.04.4.deb

7) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 12.04.4 x86_64 Video Driver for Graphics Accelerators Devel Files (OGL, OCL)
fglrx-dev_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_12.04.4.deb

8) AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Proprietary Ubuntu 12.04.4 x86_64 Catalyst Control Center
fglrx-amdcccle_15.201-0ubuntu1_amd64_UB_12.04.4.deb

As always any advice appreciated.
You need the installer from the AMD website. The ideal driver is 15.12, not 15.9.
For Ubuntu 14.04 you don't need to install any of those, just "aptitude install fglrx". This is covered here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto
(10-25-2016, 11:02 AM)atom Wrote: You need the installer from the AMD website. The ideal driver is 15.12, not 15.9.

For Ubuntu 14.04 you don't need to install any of those, just "aptitude install fglrx". This is covered here: https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=linux_server_howto

Hi I have two answers above:

The reason I tried to download them is that I was not aware aptitude install fglrx would get the latest version.

I have manually installed most of the ones i listed and they have all been disasters.
several times the caused my setup to be unable to boot.

After installing any of these drivers i listed previously i have one of 3 problems.
1) system will not boot hangs at: Loading cpufreq kernel modules....
2) system will not boot hangs at: setting cpufreq... (something like this)
3) system boots clinfo works but amdconfig is not found.

I had fglrx-dev_15.302-Oubuntu1_amd64_ub_14.01.deb working except for problem number 3 above.

from this: BinaryDriverHowto/AMD
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

i tried this:
3.1. Installing via the command line
Save a backup copy of xorg.conf in case this doesn't work.
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.BAK

Remove/purge current fglrx and fglrx-amdcccle
sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
Reboot.
Install the driver
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle (note after installing the fglrx-amdcccle it would not longer boot - cpu freq issue)

I somehow missed this note however:

From 14.04 forward, fglrx-amdcccle is included when you install fglrx, so the following will suffice:
sudo apt-get install fglrx (which is actually one of the replies above) i will try this next
---or---
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates (so which one do i install ? fglrx or fglrx updates)

what is this? and again which one?
To install the packages for hardware acceleration along with the driver:
sudo apt-get install fglrx xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo
---or---
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-egl1 vainfo

Generate a fresh xorg.conf BEFORE REBOOTING!
If you are using multiple AMD graphics cards or AMD dual graphics (i.e.: notebook users), use:
sudo amdconfig --adapter=all --initial

Reboot again.
To confirm the drivers are working open a terminal and type:
fglrxinfo

I will try some of these things and post what happens..
I was completely installing ubuntu and trusty-mate every time until I learned to boot from a usb and run recover and shell and purge the drivers.. so this has been time consuming to say the least
(10-27-2016, 04:12 AM)ICONOCLAST Wrote:
(10-25-2016, 11:02 AM)atom Wrote: You need the installer from the AMD website. The ideal driver is 15.12, not 15.9.

The reason I tried to download them is that I was not aware aptitude install fglrx would get the latest version.

I have manually installed most of the ones i listed and they have all been disasters.

After installing any of these drivers i listed previously i have one of 3 problems.
2) system will not boot hangs at: setting cpufreq...  (something like this)

I had fglrx-dev_15.302-Oubuntu1_amd64_ub_14.01.deb working except for problem number 3 above.

from this:  BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

i tried this:

Reboot.
Install the driver
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle    (note after installing the fglrx-amdcccle it would not longer boot - cpu freq issue)

From 14.04 forward, fglrx-amdcccle is included when you install fglrx, so the following will suffice:
sudo apt-get install fglrx (which is actually one of the replies above) i will try this next
---or---
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates  (so which one do i install ? fglrx or fglrx updates)

---or---

If you are using multiple AMD graphics cards or AMD dual graphics (i.e.: notebook users), use:

Reboot again.
fglrxinfo

I was completely installing ubuntu and trusty-mate every time until I learned to boot from a usb and run recover and shell and purge the drivers.. so this has been time consuming to say the least

Ok, here is an update:
after purging fglrx*
I tried this
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates

does not seem to have any install errors, however on reboot i get this message every time.

"CPU0...
CPUFreq Utilities: Setting ondemand CPUFreq governor..."

and thats it.. the boot just hangs there. It will sit for 12 hrs like that.
at that point I have to boot to recovery and using a shell purge the FGLRX
it then boots up normally.

I am stuck.
I had this system running great once, but I don't know what driver I was using.
again this is ubuntu server 14.04 LTS with mate-desktop 1.8.2
(10-27-2016, 11:43 PM)ICONOCLAST Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 04:12 AM)ICONOCLAST Wrote:

2) system will not boot hangs at: setting cpufreq...  (something like this)

from this:  BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

i tried this:

Reboot.
Install the driver
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle    (note after installing the fglrx-amdcccle it would not longer boot - cpu freq issue)

---or---
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates  (so which one do i install ? fglrx or fglrx updates)

---or---

Reboot again.
fglrxinfo

Ok, here is an update:
after purging fglrx*
I tried this

does not seem to have any install errors, however on reboot i get this message every time.

"CPU0...
CPUFreq Utilities: Setting ondemand CPUFreq governor..."

and thats it.. the boot just hangs there. It will sit for 12 hrs like that.
at that point I have to boot to recovery and using a shell purge the FGLRX
it then boots up normally.

I am stuck.
I had this system running great once, but I don't know what driver I was using.
again this is ubuntu server 14.04 LTS with mate-desktop 1.8.2

Update:
After the driver purge and reboot i noticed by going into
(mate-desktop)
System-->Control center--> additional drivers:
that the selection (that allows it to boot) is this:

"Using X.Org X server - AMD/ATI display driver wrapper from xserver-xorg-video-ati (open source, tested)"

However, what started all this is.. amdconfig does not work (not found)
with out that I cannot get temps, overclock, etc, I dont even know if hashcat will run without this.

Last iteration i tried this
sudo apt-get install fglrx  (I posted "apt-get install fglrx-updates" but that was incorrect)
This time I will try this: