Budget GPUs
(05-07-2017, 04:37 PM)elidell Wrote: Curious though.. I'm running an Intel 3.3ghz processor, and my psu is 750 how many of the gtx 1080 founders edition cards can I run before I would need more than a 750 psu? How much do I allow for my CPU and each gpu?

It is a good idea to allow for 250 Watts for a single GTX 1080 FE.  I would be surprised if you would be able to run two of those cards with a single 750 Watt PSU.

There are other factors to consider also.  What other peripherals is the computer supporting?  How many hard drives?  How many fans?

My gut instinct is that a single 750 Watt PSU is not enough for two GTX 1080 FE cards.  For two of those cards, it is probably best to go with at least a 1000 Watt PSU.

Also, most wall circuits (15 amps) top out at a capacity of 1800 Watts.  Make sure you plug in to a wall circuit that can handle the load that you are putting on it.  Popped circuit breakers and electrical fires are no fun.
What about the RX570?
(05-07-2017, 07:02 PM)devilsadvocate Wrote: It is a good idea to allow for 250 Watts for a single GTX 1080 FE.  I would be surprised if you would be able to run two of those cards with a single 750 Watt PSU.

Depending on the PSU two cards should be fine. If it's a quality product at least, not some noname crap. Check out the power capacity on the 12V line. It should exceed 650W. Then you're quite save.

(05-07-2017, 07:02 PM)devilsadvocate Wrote: Also, most wall circuits (15 amps) top out at a capacity of 1800 Watts.  Make sure you plug in to a wall circuit that can handle the load that you are putting on it.  Popped circuit breakers and electrical fires are no fun.

Depending on the country I'd say. In many parts of Europe it's 16A at 230V, so you're quite save over here Wink
There are lots of power supply calculators available online. Pull one of them up, enter the specs of the computer hardware you are running, and it will calculate for you. You can even specify how many case fans, how many hdds, etc you are running on the ones I have used. If you are interested in adding another 1080FE, up the quantity to two, and recalculate. It'll tell you if your 750 is good enough.

Also, I don't know how *nix handles mixing of AMD/NVIDIA GPUs, but on windows I have never had good luck mixing the two. If you already have the 1080FE, you could always look at getting a 1070FE, 1060FE, 1050Ti, or 1050FE to go with it and save a few bucks, and since they use the same drivers, you don't have to worry about conflicts. You could also look around on ebay or similar for used GTX10 series cards or even GTX9 reference design cards. If you go with 9 series cards, make sure to go for the 970/980/980Ti/TitanX cards with the Maxwell architecture. As mentioned earlier, go for the reference design cards with the single fan that blows the exhaust out the back. The OEM design cards with the massive fans just cook each other.