Very high "runtime" value with -w 4
#1
Hi,

I'm currently running hashcat 3.40 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with a single GTX 1080.
My hash file is about 20M SHA1 hashes, and I'm using mask mode:

Code:
Session..........: hashcat Status...........: Running Hash.Type........: SHA1 Hash.Target......: /home/*/hashes.sha1.uniq Time.Started.....: Tue Jun  6 19:00:50 2017 (11 hours, 41 mins) Time.Estimated...: Sat Jun 10 00:06:47 2017 (2 days, 17 hours) Input.Mask.......: ?1?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l?l [10] Input.Charset....: -1 ?l?d?s, -2 Undefined, -3 Undefined, -4 Undefined Input.Queue......: 10/10 (100.00%) Speed.Dev.#2.....:  1349.8 MH/s (1971.24ms) Recovered........: 923497/20174392 (4.58%) Digests, 0/1 (0.00%) Salts Recovered/Time...: CUR:29,14663,N/A AVG:1081,64868,1556843 (Min,Hour,Day) Progress.........: 56837349048320/374635753849344 (15.17%) Rejected.........: 0/56837349048320 (0.00%) Restore.Point....: 1216348160/8031810176 (15.14%) Candidates.#2....: >oignefcqa -> ;tvnuagpzo HWMon.Dev.#2.....: Temp: 82c Fan: 56% Util:100% Core:1809MHz Mem:4513MHz Lanes:16


I'm using this hardware for several weeks now, and I can't recall reading such a high value of "runtime" : about 2 seconds.

Yesterday, I've ugraded the whole system, Nvidia's driver included (yielding to a +20% perf gain on SSHA-1 bench for example). I've also installed Ubuntu-desktop.
I wonder if that very huge 2 sec. runtime value is due to one of these software changes.
And by the way, despite the -w 4 option, the desktop looks responsive.

here is the nvidia-smi reading:
Code:
Wed Jun  7 06:51:02 2017 +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | NVIDIA-SMI 375.66                 Driver Version: 375.66                    | |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+ | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC | | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. | |===============================+======================+======================| |   0  GeForce GTX 1080    Off  | 0000:03:00.0      On |                  N/A | | 55%   82C    P2   106W / 180W |   2381MiB /  8110MiB |    100%      Default | +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Processes:                                                       GPU Memory | |  GPU       PID  Type  Process name                               Usage      | |=============================================================================| |    0       959    G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                              40MiB | |    0     19741    C   ./hashcat64.bin                               2337MiB | +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
#2
Is the runtime value correlating with some kind of other performance problem?

Also, any reason why you're not using a newer version of hashcat?
~
#3
Hi Royce,

(11-19-2017, 02:19 AM)royce Wrote: Is the runtime value correlating with some kind of other performance problem?    

Also, any reason why you're not using a newer version of hashcat?

My post is pretty old, I've upgraded HC since.
And no, the ~2sec runtime value does not correlate with perf problems, but using -w 4 is supposed to yield to an almost unresponsive GUI (for example). I'm not seeing any performance drop on this area, and that whats bugged me :)

No big deal anyway, everything looks ok.