Help on hashcat syntax
hi i have the hash password (12345678...) and salt(abcde),

so i have a file named hash.txt which contains passwordConfusedalt = 12345678...:abcde

im using

hashcat -m 10 -a 0 hash.txt /my/wordlist
-m 10 for (md5($pass.$salt)

and im getting line-length exception error. did i make any mistake? Thanks!!!
If your hash (12345678...) is not 32 characters long, then you can get that error. Because that means it is probably not MD5. See https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes for examples of how your hash should look.
(03-29-2018, 03:47 PM)DanielG Wrote: If your hash (12345678...) is not 32 characters long, then you can get that error. Because that means it is probably not MD5. See https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=example_hashes for examples of how your hash should look.

hi it is 32 characters long i just put in 123456... for example but it looks like this d8e8fca2dc0f896fd7cb4cb0031ba249
Okay that is weird, if I make a file hash.txt with d8e8fca2dc0f896fd7cb4cb0031ba249:abcdefghj I get:

./hashcat -m 10 -a 0 hash.txt wordlist.txt
[...]
Hash 'hash.txt': Line-length exception
No hashes loaded

It won't read the file but it sees the text as a hash itself.

if you just run ./hashcat you'll see:

Usage: ./hashcat [options]... hash|hashfile|hccapfile [dictionary|mask|directory]...

which means hashfile should be possible there?

I don't know why this error occurs
please make sure that the file hash.txt is located in the correct directory and is really named like this.

It happens all the time that users save the file within a different folder or with a slightly different file name and wonder why hashcat can't find the file. Please double-check
Wink 
$ ls h*
hashcat hashcat.hctune hashcat.potfile 
hashcat.dictstat hashcat.log hashcat.potfile.old 
hashcat.hcstat hashcat.pot hahs.txt

Oh wow just as philsmd says, make sure you don't make typo's and that the file is in the dir.
(03-29-2018, 03:58 PM)DanielG Wrote: Okay that is weird, if I make a file hash.txt with d8e8fca2dc0f896fd7cb4cb0031ba249:abcdefghj I get:

./hashcat -m 10 -a 0 hash.txt wordlist.txt
[...]
Hash 'hash.txt': Line-length exception
No hashes loaded

It won't read the file but it sees the text as a hash itself.

if you just run ./hashcat you'll see:

Usage: ./hashcat [options]... hash|hashfile|hccapfile [dictionary|mask|directory]...

which means hashfile should be possible there?

I don't know why this error occurs

Hi it seems that my salt is too long, I tried removing some characters and it proceeded. Does hashcat have some workaround on long salts? Thank you!
Sorry, I didnt put real hash and salt value for security purposes.. thank you.
(03-29-2018, 04:06 PM)philsmd Wrote: please make sure that the file hash.txt is located in the correct directory and is really named like this.

It happens all the time that users save the file within a different folder or with a slightly different file name and wonder why hashcat can't find the file. Please double-check

file is located in the right directory. I figured out that the error came from the salt being too long, any work around on this? thank you so much,.
Are you sure you are using the latest version of hashcat?

What do you mean by too long? How long is your salt ?