How many GPUs can i use with X10DRG-Q (supermicro)
Hey guys!
my company currently has a rid with X10DRG-Q motherboard and 4x1080 inside.

however, looking at the specs i see "4 PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (1 in x16), 1 PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8)",
so that is a total of 7(?) PCI-e.

i was told that when it was purchased the company that sold it said only 4 fit, so i assume that if there are 8 PCI-e slot they meant physically.

is there ANY way to fit more? (6 or even 8 total) cards in that sort of Motherboard? maybe an extension for the PCI slots so they don't block other slots?

thank you!
Yes, there are ways to do this with PCI-E extenders and an open case. But the choice of extenders can be tricky - powered vs unpowered, and general manufacturing quality can be poor. You can research more in the more reputable GPU cryptocurrency mining forums, but be cautious and do your research.
~
(06-03-2018, 04:29 PM)royce Wrote: Yes, there are ways to do this with PCI-E extenders and an open case. But the choice of extenders can be tricky - powered vs unpowered, and general manufacturing quality can be poor. You can research more in the more reputable GPU cryptocurrency mining forums, but be cautious and do your research.

hmm
so i understand there is no cookie-cutter way of doing this.
is there any forum you guys recommend that is reputable?
Our own hardware forum is pretty reputable Wink - search there for PCI-E, extenders, etc. and you should get some good leads.
~
With a quick look on the Mobo five cards should fit directly on it - but i guess the server chassis is blocking the last one. And no idea about PSU capacity.

Does "has a rid" mean they wanna sell it or is it a speller and you meant "rig"? Wink

Anyway, I personally always choose reliability over performance. A sturdy server chassis with integrated cards is way better then some open case construction with lots of cables hanging around. Not to mention power supply. Preffered in a personal environment, strongly recommended in a professional one. But that's just my 2cts.
(06-04-2018, 09:12 PM)Flomac Wrote: With a quick look on the Mobo five cards should fit directly on it - but i guess the server chassis is blocking the last one. And no idea about PSU capacity.

Does "has a rid" mean they wanna sell it or is it a speller and you meant "rig"? Wink

Anyway, I personally always choose reliability over performance. A sturdy server chassis with integrated cards is way better then some open case construction with lots of cables hanging around. Not to mention power supply. Preffered in a personal environment, strongly recommended in a professional one. But that's just 2cts.

lol i meant to save "have a rig" - the rig does reside in a very cool server room so tempreture isn't a big issue here (if that is what you referred to in the structure line)

but ill take this in, think about it, and we'll decide.