How to leet-transform only one char ? [edited]
#1
Hello all,

How to deal with words like "D1rections" as leetspeak change all occurrences in a word ?

I've seen in the wiki that I can use "p" to choose a specific char position to overwrite, but it only works in command-line and not in rule files.


Any idea ?

Thanks !
#2
Hi,

I've made some digging but cannot find anything relevant yet. I'm sure workarounds should exist, otherwise words like "Ad0ption", "K0relogic", "D1rections" "l33speak", "le3tspeak" couldn't be found.

Team hashcat, how would you deal with such situations ?


Many Thanks
#3
I don't think such cases are easily handled with rules (other than random character replaces). You're much more likely to hit such words using a fingerprint attack.
#4
Thanks Undeath, I haven't try that attack yet. If I get anything relevant I'll post it here.
#5
Can also mention using hashcat-legacy with -a 5 (table attack)

Code:
$ cat dict Directions $ hashcat-cli64.exe -a 5 -t tables/leet.table --stdout dict | head Directions D1rections D!rections Dir3ctions D1r3ctions D!r3ctions Dire<tions D1re<tions D!re<tions Dir3<tions

https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat-legacy
Leet table: https://github.com/hashcat/hashcat-legac...leet.table
#6
That sounds exactly what I was looking for, many thanks.

I'm wondering why the mode 5 has been removed with new version of hashcat ?
#7
It wasn't removed, it has just never been implemented. Note the predecessor of hashcat v3 and later is not hashcat-legacy but oclhashcat.
#8
Well noted thanks for the precision