Hashcat / Wordlist-Combinator - [truecrypt boot loader] eng dictionary?
Hello, i hope u had a nice day.

I mostly just have a question about the way hashcat interacts with the truecrypt containe in regards to the language used in the dictionary.

For instance, if u create a logical volume, u mostly shouldnt use "§" because its not part of ASCII, u still can but iam not sure how that is than handled since truecrypt gives a message, saying that it could get corrupted after "major" system changes. But if you encrypt your system drive, it will just convert that automatically into "#" withouth any warning, so the boot loader just adjust smoothly withouth much thinking.
But, in case i need to recover my boot system, and i got a series of password-combinations to test, i would need to create the wordlist with the explicit us-layout in mind even when not using an explicit us-layout keyboard and just knowing the password by tipping via muscle memory? right?

it may sound dumb .. but i am somehow really unsure about it? so i probably just ask instead of assuming something which potentially could be false.
to be clear, if its true, i need do i need to type my pw in english layout, or write it in my native layout and just replace the non-ascii parts like § or " for # and @ ... ?

thank u for reading trough it and i surely gonna appreciate if i get an answer on that topic.

best regards!
(02-27-2024, 11:27 PM)justaq Wrote: Hello, i hope u had a nice day.

I mostly just have a question about the way hashcat interacts with the truecrypt containe in regards to the language used in the dictionary.

For instance, if u create a logical volume, u mostly shouldnt use "§" because its not part of ASCII, u still can but iam not sure how that is than handled since truecrypt gives a message, saying that it could get corrupted after "major" system changes. But if you encrypt your system drive, it will just convert that automatically into "#" withouth any warning, so the boot loader just adjust smoothly withouth much thinking.
But, in case i need to recover my boot system, and i got a series of password-combinations to test, i would need to create the wordlist with the explicit us-layout in mind even when not using an explicit us-layout keyboard and just knowing the password by tipping via muscle memory? right?

it may sound dumb .. but i am somehow really unsure about it? so i probably just ask instead of assuming something which potentially could be false.
to be clear, if its true, i need do i need to type my pw in english layout, or write it in my native layout and just replace the non-ascii parts like § or " for # and @ ... ?

thank u for reading trough it and i surely gonna appreciate if i get an answer on that topic.

best regards!

The password is always saved as if you were typing on a us-layout keyboard. That is correct. And yes, that means you have to take that into account when cracking the password. But there is a simpler way around it, depending on your keyboard layout. You can use the parameter

--keyboard-layout-mapping

Look it up in hashcat help. There's some hckmap files available in hashcat, but you can also create them yourself if yours is not present.