Using hashcat with maskprocessor - here: veracrypt
I don't think the mask 'part_I_remember?d?s' does what you want. It tries candidates that start with "part_I_remember" followed by exactly one digit followed by exactly one special character.

I guess it should be something like
-1 ?d?s part_I_remember?1?1?1?1?1?1

your increment-min/max values are calculated for the whole mask, including your prefix.

You may achieve better speed for your specific attack by using -S
(08-19-2019, 05:09 PM)undeath Wrote: I don't think the mask 'part_I_remember?d?s' does what you want. It tries candidates that start with "part_I_remember" followed by exactly one digit followed by exactly one special character.

I guess it should be something like
-1 ?d?s part_I_remember?1?1?1?1?1?1

your increment-min/max values are calculated for the whole mask, including your prefix.

You may achieve better speed for your specific attack by using -S
Good evening undeath Smile,
thank you for the hint. You're completely right I think. The error messages seems it.
Now my code is
Code:
hashcat -a 3 -m 13711 -1 ?a?s part_I_remember?!?1?1?1?1?1
and I'll get the hint that I have to specify a mask, when I specify a custom charset.
So I'm looking for how to specify a mask now Wink.
...hmmm immediately I read about it and I'm of the opinion, that ai just have created a mask with my command...

I've found another mistake:
Code:
Hash 'part_I_remember?a?s': Hash-file exception
No hashes loaded.
Is that the part royce told me to do? To extract a hash from my veracrypt volume? How can I do this?

A few posts ago you asked me, why I wrote
Code:
--increment 4:6 (17:19)
Now I've found this syntax again
Code:
Increment:

-i,  --increment=NUM:NUM  Enable increment mode. 1st NUM=start, 2nd NUM=stop
                            Example: -i 4:8 searches lengths 4-8 (inclusive)
it's part of the hashcat-wiki https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=maskprocessor under the point options.
?1 is not the same as ?l

and ?! is completely wrong

you need to be more careful about what you see and what you type.

?1 is dollar ONE and ?l is dollar lower-case ELL

maskprocessor is not the same as hashcat. the syntax differ

The error above with "Hash 'part_I_remember?a?s': Hash-file exception" happened because you totally forgot to specify the hash file.

Please don't change the command line completely in some random manner if you do not know what the different parts mean. You for instance can't crack a hash file without specifying the hash file. It should be very obvious.
(08-19-2019, 07:50 PM)philsmd Wrote: ?1 is not the same as ?l

and ?! is completely wrong

you need to be more careful about what you see and what you type.

?1 is dollar ONE and ?l is dollar lower-case ELL

maskprocessor is not the same as hashcat. the syntax differ

The error above with "Hash 'part_I_remember?a?s': Hash-file exception" happened because you totally forgot to specify the hash file.

Please don't change the command line completely in some random manner if you do not know what the different parts mean. You for instance can't crack a hash file without specifying the hash file. It should be very obvious.

Thank you phil, for your hints.
I'm really sorry. Of course I know, that there are differences between ?1 and ?l. The problem really is, that I have mistyped and I really haven't seen it, because I have a massive lower vision problem, so it's hard for me to differ this characters, when I have typed the wrong ones.
But your hint is worthfull, that maskprocessor and hashcat have different syntaxes. I'm going to read about and tell again about what happened.

Best
Snoop