core speed limitation - overclocking
Hello everyone,

I've got an RTX 2070 and by default runs on 1410Mhz. I can achieve easily 1850Mhz with MSI afterburner (tested with Kombustor).

I achieved, just for once, about 2000Mhz speed on hashcat but i was getting the error CL_OUT_OF_RESOURCES, so I applied the .reg patch.

Unfortunately, i can't get the overclocked speed again after restarting the computer.

Hashcat remains on 1410Mhz core speed, but I get 1850Mhz+ when I run Kombustor.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.
anyone?
Solution

run CO that comes with afterburner. FIRST scan and then test. the whole process takes about 15mins but it fixes the problem
Be careful with overclocking and intense workloads:

Many consumer-grade graphics cards are not designed to be running at 100% for a long time but instead are expected to often have the opportunity to cool down (e.g. typically in video games if your GPU has to go all the way up to 100% because of some very detailed explosion or whatever, it usually has something much easier to do moments later) so using them at stock speed with Hashcat is already borderline.

Hopefully it's not what happened to your card in this case but if you overclock too far and/or for too long the components start degrading and the GPU becomes unstable at lower and lower speeds.
(09-27-2019, 08:55 AM)Kryczek Wrote: Be careful with overclocking and intense workloads:

Many consumer-grade graphics cards are not designed to be running at 100% for a long time but instead are expected to often have the opportunity to cool down (e.g. typically in video games if your GPU has to go all the way up to 100% because of some very detailed explosion or whatever, it usually has something much easier to do moments later) so using them at stock speed with Hashcat is already borderline.

Hopefully it's not what happened to your card in this case but if you overclock too far and/or for too long the components start degrading and the GPU becomes unstable at lower and lower speeds.

Thanks for your reply,

It works like a charm so far. it was running non stop for 12 hours on 58o temperature. My cracking rate improved to 24days instead of 35days that was the initial task.

But I agree with you that overclocking can harm the card, thus I used the official software from MSI and not any other third party that promises even better optimization.